Imagine you are just walking your dog along on your property one day when you spot a rusty can sticking up from the dirt. How many of you would stop and check it? If you're one of the two people who live outside of Sacramento, California, you would stoop over and check that can. And you'd be mighty glad you did. For the can contained gold coins -- and there were eight cans -- and together those gold coins amounted to over $10 million! That's one dog walk that certainly paid off.

The couple live in what used to be known as "Gold Country" and apparently someone in the mining industry long ago buried the coins there for some reason. Back in the day, the mid- to late-1800s, paper money was actually illegal in California, and people dealt in gold coins.

The 1,427 gold coins found on their property are extremely rare and in mint condition. The coin dealer who has been charged with selling them for the couple, who understandably wish to remain anonymous for fear of gold diggers (ha!), says that the find is "once-in-a-lifetime" and "It's like they found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow."

Reportedly, the couple are in their 40s and just happened to be walking their dog on their property when one of them noted a rusty can that erosion had finally pushed slightly out of the ground. Luckily, they decided to see what was in the can, and became instant multi-millionaires.

"Don't be above bending over to check on a rusty can," the dealer says the wife told him.

The couple don't plan on telling anyone about their find lest people starting treating them differently (cough askingformoney cough) and say they will quietly start donating to local charities.

This may be the biggest gold coin collection found in the dirt in U.S. history -- the last one was uncovered by construction workers in Tennessee in 1985. Those were worth a relatively paltry $1 million.

Pretty incredible, eh? Next time I see an old can, I'm picking it up! Wait, I live in New York City. I'd be picking up cans all the live long day. Never mind. But pretty cool, eh?

Have you ever found anything valuable?