Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Eating out with the group - how do you break up the bill?

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 10:02 PM
  • 33 Replies

So, it dosen't happen often, but my husband and I occasionally go out with friends for someone's birthday party or some other special event. Usually, it's a invitation through facebook, a "come join me at such and such a place for my birthday." Since not of us are rich, you often start out with the assumption that everybody is going to be footing the bill, instead of one person hosting the party. My husband and I are pretty frugal when we go out to eat. No alcohol, no drinks, no appetizers and no dessert. My husband is also a vegetarian. When we eat out I usually order a sandwich or something - no more then $15 meal. The problem with these group things is that everyone is ordering everything under the sun. They order drinks, they order a bunch of appetizers and sometimes they order expensive dinners. Then the bill comes. Some people only have a credit card. Some people overpay and then you have those that underpay. Plus, it's customary to pay for the meal of the person whose birthday it is. Well, we have situations everytime where we come up short. We had one birthday party where the bday boy looked at the table and said "we are this much short". Meanwhile, the people ordered a bunch of appetizers that were meat filled, which mean my husband couldn't have them. People ordered drinks that we didn't have. We wound up putting in another $50. I hate the akward moment at the end of the meal when everyone is trying to add up what they owe. I don't want to seem cheap either. However, I thought about asking for a seperate check just to make calcultions easier. What do you do when you go out with a group?

by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 10:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 10:06 PM

I ask for a separate check.

lilmama8408
by Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 10:07 PM
Separate checks always
tazmidgiefairy
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 10:08 PM
My friends and I pay for what we eat then the tip
notjstanothrmom
by Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 10:10 PM
We just split the checks before we order. That's common sense.
rmp
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 10:30 PM

Always ask for a seperate bill. We were burned a lot when we were younger and even by our own family. They were ordering left and right and then desserts also while we were being frugal as can be we were young and had no money!! Not anymore we say it out loud the minute the waiter/waitress comes over to us. We dont care if we sound cheap. I always say seperate checks makes it possible to have our friendship for a long time to come. 

RonaH
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 10:35 PM
I always say I only have credit so please give me a separate check to the waitress. That allows people to follow suit or not. Then I will toss in a few bucks for the b day person and let them figure out the rest.
Debmomto2girls
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 11:14 PM

We split the check evenly but we are all ordering pretty much the same thing.

LaughCryLive
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 6:49 AM
Seperate check unless I specify I want to treat a friend. We always discuss before going. I'll say something like, "hey wanna go to Applebee's. I'm kinda broke but I have a free meal coupon and we can split the cost of another meal."
RosePetalTears
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 10:15 AM

i always tell the waitress that we're going to be on a seperate check. If i decide to order the birthday person something and pay for it, i make sure that the waitress knows to put that on my check too

mamavaness
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 10:19 AM
1 mom liked this
I always ask for separate checks. I would be upset if I had to pay 50$ more for something I wasnt even eating and furthermore, your friends are rude for letting you. Imo.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN