Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Bank's mistake...wwyd? Edit

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 12:11 AM
  • 21 Replies
SO needed to withdrawal money to pay his mom back so we stopped by at the ATM drive thru. Well, the ATM machine gave him $280 instead of $200. We felt bad someone had counted the money wrong and mistakenly put a $100 bill into the $20 bills stack.

If this happen to you or your spouse, what would you do?

Edit: We went to the bank the next day. At first the teller was confused but we talked to the manager. We explained what happen, showed the receipt and money. We told the manager we wanted to do the right thing and don't want anyone to get fired cause we all make mistakes. She said they'll do some audit and no one is going to get fired. Glad we did the right choice.
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 12:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
caseyloo
by Casey on Mar. 8, 2014 at 12:14 AM
4 moms liked this

I would take it back to the bank.  We don't believe in keeping what isn't ours.

rmp
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 12:19 AM
4 moms liked this

The Atm gives you a receipt. Check it and if it says $280 then it came out of your account if it gave you $280 and receipt says $200 then I would go to the bank tomorrow. I would not want an employee to get fired over that. The employee can be a single mom with kids and needs her job. We all make mistakes. If you did not ask for a receipt. I would go online and check if $280 came out of your account if it did then thats your money if only $200 came out then it is their money. You never know when you might lose something of value or need help and a stranger will be there to help you . I believe in Karma. My kids are always with me and they learn from what they see. I want them to be honest people.  

BeachLifeMama
by Dawn on Mar. 8, 2014 at 12:25 AM
Good answer.

Quoting caseyloo:

I would take it back to the bank.  We don't believe in keeping what isn't ours.

BeachLifeMama
by Dawn on Mar. 8, 2014 at 12:26 AM
We got a receipt that say the right amount. And yes, we're going tomorrow morning and return it.

Quoting rmp:

The Atm gives you a receipt. Check it and if it says $280 then it came out of your account if it gave you $280 and receipt says $200 then I would go to the bank tomorrow. I would not want an employee to get fired over that. The employee can be a single mom with kids and needs her job. We all make mistakes. If you did not ask for a receipt. I would go online and check if $280 came out of your account if it did then thats your money if only $200 came out then it is their money. You never know when you might lose something of value or need help and a stranger will be there to help you . I believe in Karma. My kids are always with me and they learn from what they see. I want them to be honest people.  

mamavaness
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 12:30 AM
I would say something. The other day I deposited a check and the atm scanned it for more and I forgot to tell them. Well anyways the next day I checked my account and they fixed it anyways. So u never know they could find out and fire that person :/
BeachLifeMama
by Dawn on Mar. 8, 2014 at 12:45 AM
I agree. We don't want that person to get fired.

Quoting mamavaness: I would say something. The other day I deposited a check and the atm scanned it for more and I forgot to tell them. Well anyways the next day I checked my account and they fixed it anyways. So u never know they could find out and fire that person :/
chicken13
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:04 AM

I'd take it back.  They might eventually figure it out and deduct it from your account when you're not prepared. 

MammaKoi
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:09 AM

call the bank asap personally or walk in and inform them of the mistake. 

clairewait
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 12:05 PM

I'll be honest. 

I tend to trust karma will come get me in these kinds of moments, so I always try to do the right thing. :)

Grocery store mistakes too... even little ones. I've had so many surprise and legitimate good deals at grocery stores that when something goes wrong (in my favor) I have to fix it to keep my good luck going.

Hah.

pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 12:12 PM

A similar happened to us one time.  I went inside to cash my pay check. That was when we still got paper pay check. No direct deposit.  No debit cards to use at the ATM.  I asked for some money back.  The teller counts out my money in front of me.   She counted correct.  I stuff the money in my wallet. Go about my day. Not thinking about the money.  Some days later. This teller calls. Not even sure if it was the one who waited on me.  Asks if I was given out to much money.  I said No.  She said are you sure.  Yeah.  A few days later.  I wasn't really sure if I was given to much back.  Because when the teller counted the money in front of me.  It looked correct.  I don't know if any bills were stuck together.   So I said No I did not get to much back.  The teller said if I did. She'd have to take it out of our account.  Oh no she wasn't.  Now if I clearly seen I got to much back.  I'd give it back.   I  did that to a cashier at Walmart.  I asked for cash back on my debit card.  I only wanted 20$.  She hands me 40$.  I said Ma'am I only asked for 20.  She said you sure.  Yeah.  My reciept only said 20$ back.  I don't want you getting in trouble if your drawer is short end of the day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)