Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

An important tip to remember when buying milk

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 3:58 PM
  • 24 Replies
1 mom liked this

I thought I'd pass this tip along.  When you buy a jug of milk, turn the jug and make sure the milk flows freely through the handle.  I bought a gallon one time and checked the date, and it hadn't been opened at all, so I thought I was good.  I go to use it the next morning, and noticed that the milk in the handle was chunky and would not flow through the handle.  Of course, I was in the middle of making breakfast, so this was rather frustrating, but the store was only a mile away, and I was able to exchange it and get back to breakfast.  So now I always do this when I get milk so that I avoid the same frustration.

by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 3:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluelace777
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Good to know, thanks!

I only buy rice and almond milk, and these come in cartons so luckily I wouldn't have this problem.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Mar. 8, 2014 at 5:33 PM

never thought of that...dont buy often but this is good advice

Stacie03
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Good tip.  I have never done this, but I have also never had any issues with the milk I've bought.  I'll have to start checking as the store is 15miles away, I'd be pretty ticked off if it did happen to me.

DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:33 PM

Thank you for the info. I haven't had a problem, but now I will check that. 

vmommy
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:32 PM

Thanks for sharing, I'd be super upset if I had to repack the kids in the car if this happened to me.

victoriaherring
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 12:32 AM

Another tip I learned is that when you are sniffing the milk to see if its still good you should pour it into a cup. If you sniff it straight out of the jug you will smell milk that is around the rim which may smell sour before the milk goes bad.. When you pour it in the cup it isn't bad at all.

TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Mar. 9, 2014 at 3:27 AM
Agree with this

Quoting victoriaherring:

Another tip I learned is that when you are sniffing the milk to see if its still good you should pour it into a cup. If you sniff it straight out of the jug you will smell milk that is around the rim which may smell sour before the milk goes bad.. When you pour it in the cup it isn't bad at all.

TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Mar. 9, 2014 at 3:28 AM
Tfs
MorganTho
by Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 3:30 AM
Was it chunky like sour or was it cream that separated from the rest?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetspice03
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 4:21 AM

It was solidly chunky and did not budge at all

Quoting MorganTho: Was it chunky like sour or was it cream that separated from the rest?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)