Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Freezing Milk

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 9:43 PM
  • 5 Replies
1 mom liked this

Never thought I'd be one to freeze milk.

But alas. It turns out it is actually something that is working for me right now.

All three of my kids and my husband are lactose intollerant or allergic to cows milk. I am not. But obviously I'm not drinking an entire gallon of milk within the dates by myself. I'll have an occasional bowl of cereal and make a latte a couple times a week, maybe cook with it a few nights a week... but that's it.

A quart of milk in my grocery store cost $1.65.

Two weeks ago I got an entire gallon for $2.

So I froze half of it in 2 cup portions.

It is perfect for lattes because I'd never notice a difference in consistency. It is working out great for cooking too. I have to admit I have not ventured to defrost a cup and actually drink it on cereal yet... I'm just a little afraid of the consistency being weird.

by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 9:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
thefiregoddess
by Optimus Prime on Mar. 10, 2014 at 1:34 AM
This is what we do. No adverse taste according to df.
I don't drink milk so I don't know but I do use it to cook.
chicken13
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 8:28 AM

Plenty of people swear by it....

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 10, 2014 at 8:53 AM

We never had an odd taste after freezing.  As for consistency, the 2% or 1% or skim milk were fine.  Whole milk sometimes had issues with the fat clumping up.

angelsmom86
by Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 7:45 AM
I freeze milk all the time, it takes a couple days in the fridge for a gallon to defrost but you can't tell the difference once it is completely thawed
BeachLifeMama
by Dawn on Mar. 11, 2014 at 9:18 AM
Glad it's working for you. I've been wondering and hesitating about freezing milk because of an odd taste after thawing it. But I'm going to try and see the result. :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)