Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Less Expensive Entertainment at Home

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 9:37 AM
  • 17 Replies

So we got really frustrated with our Cable and Internet bill last year. They wanted to raise our bill to $249 a month and we were only getting basic cable. Our answer to that was....  We cut the cord meaning we dropped cable. We only pay for internet on a monthly basis now.

We got an antenna so we could watch local television channels.

We bought a chromebook and hooked it up to the TV.

Now we can watch TVOnline.cc and Netflix via our Chromebook and we have the local channels from the antenna.

We are saving $150 a month minus the antenna and chromebook investment since making this decision.

Is there anything that you do to save money on home entertainment that you could share?

I'm always looking for new ways to save a dollar.

by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 9:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
XOXOnBubbles
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this

We haven"t had cable in years.  We just have an antena for regular local channels and Netflix.  Cutting cable saved us a lot too!  :-)  

We love playing board games, and going to the library with the kids.  In the summer we like to go hiking, swimming, play at the park, and have water fights in our yard.  All of these activities are free.  

thefiregoddess
by Optimus Prime on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:09 PM
Unfortunately there's not much we can do. The only place that offers internet in our area limits data specifically so you can't stream only.

We've called every isp in the state.. they are it :(

Previously (at another house with a different isp) we shared netflix with a friend, shared Amazon prime streaming too.
clairewait
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 8:37 PM

We've never had cable as long as we've been married.

(In fact, we didn't even own a TV for the first 2 years.)

We have a good antennae so we get all the local channels. We used to do Blockbuster online (what?!) and now we do Netflix. We share our Netflix with my sister and she shares her HBO-Go with us. Between those two, I'm pretty well caught up on everything I ever wanted to watch.

tennis4lissa
by Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 10:01 PM

We did that and it wasnt even close to that expensive holy cow!! We get netflix through my dhs xbox and we have lots of movies :) got a bunch when blockbuster went out for cents each, and at rummages ill get them if there are good ones.  and our parents will usually throw in a dvd in christmas or bday presents for us because they know we like to watch movies.  we have lots of board games and cards to play, there are so many games to chose from and its only the initial investment, and theyre always having coupons at target or in the paper for hasbro games...thats all ive got i think :)

AzariahsMother
by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 10:27 PM
I bundle all my services into 1.
specialwingz
by Corey on Mar. 11, 2014 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this

We do the bundle thing.  To break out cable makes the phone and internet higher than the bundle price.  It's crazy.  We have talked about it several times.  And, the bundle is the cheapest way to go.  We aren't willing to let go of our landline or internet.

Our tv is internet equipt.  And, we are Amazon Prime members, which has paid itself back numerous times over.  We stream movies and tv shows from Amazon all the time.  We even get to watch a lot of the British comedies that we love and haven't seen for years.  We have an old-fashioned popcorn cart.  So, we pull it into the living room and have a movie night.  Nothing like being able to pause the movie and go to the bathroom without missing a single scene.  LOL.  And, not missing anything in order to refill the popcorn bucket.  =)

amanda_mom89
by Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 12:13 PM
We have an AppleTV streaming player that DH bought for $50 on a local classifieds page. Both of our girls have a Roku streaming player in their room.

We pay $70 a month for Internet that we use on our chromebook also and we have subscriptions to Netflix and hulu plus.
acrogodess
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 12:43 PM

I installed HitBliss on my computer and I earn credits watching commercials. I can rent movies via Amazon Instant Video or HitBliss itself. I can purchase TV episodes as well the same way. 

Amazon limits it to 3 purchases/rentals a week.

Hitbliss allows I think 7 per day via their own site. 

It's great.

RonaH
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 12:58 PM

I don't know what I would do if my internet limited data. I hope I never run across that! lol

Quoting thefiregoddess: Unfortunately there's not much we can do. The only place that offers internet in our area limits data specifically so you can't stream only. We've called every isp in the state.. they are it :( Previously (at another house with a different isp) we shared netflix with a friend, shared Amazon prime streaming too.

shellybird
by Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 1:50 PM

No cable for us!  We have what we call "amish" tv.  And sometime I think we are better for it.  My DD only watches Qubo or PBS.  She was never interested in the whole Hannah Montana stick, thank the Lord :)

We find time to do more family activities like board games, outside time and reading.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)