Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what is considered a minimum wage job?

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 6:32 PM
  • 23 Replies
What is considered a minimum wage job? I work at a quick serve restaurant but I get paid $8 an hour, the guys in kitchen get paid more but I know that most of the high school students I work with get paid less. When I worked at Wendy's I only got paid $7.25 but depending on the franchise some fast food restaurants pay employees more. What about retail like Walmart, I know most pay more than $7.25 so what do you consider minimum wage jobs? Only those that only pay $7.25 or is there a range?
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 6:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheBabyFactory4
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 6:35 PM
Btw $8/hr isn't enough to support yourself let alone a family. When I work 40hrs a week I bring in less than $600 a paycheck. There's no way I could afford rent, utilities, food, gas, insurance and whatever else I need. Let alone anything extra.
AiW
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:22 PM
Minimum wage is generally defined by individual states (or it used to be),
AiW
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:25 PM
I just googled it. I thought you live in Louisiana. If so, you don't have a state minimum wage so employers have to follow the federal minimum wage, which looks to be $7.25 per hour.
mrs.hartman12
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:27 PM

When I worked at walmart 16 years ago they started at $8.25 an hour for entry level.

thefiregoddess
by Optimus Prime on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Senile-felines
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:02 PM
To me, a minimum wage job is making minimum wage for that state...
Frankiexo
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Min. wage here in Jersey is now 8.25 

sweetspice03
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 1:03 AM

Minimum wage here in CA is $8

bluestreak35
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I believe our general society thinks food and retail are minimum wage jobs.

Usually they are classified as jobs that don't require 'special' training or 'additional higher education'.

They require some or minimal training.

Believe it or not there are people that don't believe you should be able to earn enough money to support a family unless you've worked your way up e.g. got your 'special' training or 'additional education'.

I am not one of those people. I believe all jobs should pay well. I also believe minimum wage jobs should give 40 hours a week and be high enough that at least one single person can live comfortably or two people could live frugally.

Minimum wage in Washington State is $9.32/hr.

That is significantly higher than other states. However, you would be hard pressed to support yourself with this wage around here because employers try to only dole out 5-20 hours a week and one week could literally be only 5 hours while the next could be a random 12 while you are hoping to get 20 so you can pay your living expenses. A lot of times it's not the hourly wage, it's the contract that is signed. Employee must be available 24/7, but the employer is not required to give any hours. 

If they raised the minimum wage to $10/hr here in Washington as they are talking about doing, it will not solve the problem of being able to work enough hours to support one's self.

dalbax2
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 9:33 AM
1 mom liked this
There are alot of jobs that could be considered minimum wage. Some factory jobs start out at minimum wage too.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)