Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Steamers?

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 9:57 AM
  • 10 Replies

My husband has to wear a suit to work every day.  He doesn't have that many because they are crazy expensive, so I bought a steamer so he could rewear them a few times before taking them to get them cleaned.  The steamer I bought doesn't seem to work at all.  Do any of you have a steamer that you would recommend?  Or any tips or techniques for pressing suits?

by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 9:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 17, 2014 at 10:08 AM
1 mom liked this

My son has this one from Sears...a Conair.  He likes it but he's found that he has to move the steamer slowly and keep the fabric taut.  He also used the steamer to rejuvenate the foam cushions on my couch & love seat...works like magic!

Main Product Image

specialwingz
by Corey on Mar. 17, 2014 at 10:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Rhonda^^ is right.  No matter what kind you buy, you have to take it slow and keep the fabric fairly taught.  Sadly, the wrinkles don't just drop out like they seem to do in the commercials.  LOL.  I forget which one I have.  It's a travel one I bought to take on our honeymoon cruise.  It worked well for light creases.  Was a bit of work for any that were more set in, however.

chicken13
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I bought one several years ago for basically the same reason.  Dh travels a lot and brings suits, but doesn't always wear them.  I was dry cleaning a lot of clothes simply because they got wrinkled.  It's saved me billions. 

Mine does an awesome job.  It's got a metal steam head...maybe that's the difference.

wear an oven mitt....I can't tell you the number of times I've burned myself.

TLC4theworld
by Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 12:12 AM
1 mom liked this
My husband just sticks his suits in the bathroom when I shower.
2Gs
by Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this

I went through three of them before settling on the Haan.  I like how it does floors and the hand held attachment works great.

bluestreak35
by Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:49 PM
1 mom liked this

We purchased a Conair from JC Penny a year ago. It's still working great.

I even steamed off some wallpaper border with it.

I recommend Conair.

XOXOnBubbles
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I would look at reviews online before buying another one.  

The one tip I would say is no matter what steamer you get make sure you used DISTILLED water in it.  This will prevent any hard water or mineral buildup and help your steamer run better.  

clairewait
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 9:57 PM
1 mom liked this

My husband wears a suit every day also, and only has his cleaned maybe once a month.

But we never steam them. He just hangs them back up and they stay nice. (He hangs his suit coats on a hanger in the car AND at work and only wears the coat in court.)

It might be worth the money (thinking more long term) to start investing in some more expensive suits. Jos A. Bank does a b1g2 free sale every year (or maybe semi-annually) and their suits are not bad.

Also, the Brooks Brothers Outlet has GREAT prices (if you have one nearby). We've been ridiculously frugal, but my husband will not wear a cheap suit.

AzariahsMother
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:38 PM
I don't have a steamer.
Megan11587
by Megan on Mar. 20, 2014 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I bought this and tried it out today - it worked great!!  Thanks for the suggestion!

Quoting michiganmom116:

My son has this one from Sears...a Conair.  He likes it but he's found that he has to move the steamer slowly and keep the fabric taut.  He also used the steamer to rejuvenate the foam cushions on my couch & love seat...works like magic!

Main Product Image

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)