Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

DH said he might lose his job...

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 10:20 AM
  • 28 Replies

Yup. DH came home yesterday saying he thinks with in about 5 weeks he might be out of a job (he is Exec Sous Chef) Basically the Exec Chef is taking another position, which almost always causes a shake up in staff. DH also said that whispers of the owners not being as financially solvent as originally thought have been going around (which would explain why the Exec Chef would be ditching for an hourly position before even being open for 6 months) I think the restaurant is just going through some growing pains- DH *always* looks to the worst case scenario first. Things could work out well and DH could get the Exec Chef position and the owners might be doing just fine.DH is basically doing the Exec's job and is far more than capable of running the restaurant, and as far as I know, the owners like him. A lot of his worry is speculation, I'm sure. There's some level of risk of the restaurant industry and taking this job was a big leap of faith on our part, so its scary that the Exec Chef would be leaving so soon.

DH said he didnt want to scare me but that I needed to know early that it might be a possibility. Yikes. I knew something was up the other day because DH brought home all of his kitchen knives and tools, and we had to order him new uniforms because the restaurant pulled the plug on providing them. The restaurant is still on good credit terms with the vendors (a tell tale sign a restaurant is failing is when their deliveries get put on COD), so things cant be that bad...

Long Story Short, DH is all of a sudden looking for a new job.

I feel bad because DH is beating himself up. He's been having a tough time as some of you know and the last thing we need is for him to be feeling like he has failed us (again). So I want to stay upbeat and hopeful that things will work out- I am trying hard not to freak out but once again, we are bracing ourselves for uncertainty. (insert image of me on the phone shouting CANCEL EVERYTHING! lol)

I'm trying to decide whether to do a pantry challenge type meal plan for the rest of April to stash as much cash as possible, or if I should try not to touch all the food we have saved in case we need it later on, haha. I think maybe I will try to run down the freezer (I've been saying I needed to for a while), but build up our pantry of non perishables. That way we can still have space for any more deals I come across. Glad our plans were to beef up the garden this year already!! Also we are getting chicks in a few weeks but we may take on a few hens that are already laying from a friend, which will be nice. I already am reaching out more for my direct sales business and have been concentrating on earning more Swagbucks. And otherwise we will just have to keep our fingers crossed that things work out!

What would you do if you knew you'd be out of a job in a little over a month?

by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 10:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BeachLifeMama
by Beachy on Mar. 21, 2014 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm so sorry about your dh's job and I know the pain cause in a few weeks I'll be jobless. I've been submitting my resume like crazy online and asking friends/family if their job is hiring. If I can't find a replacement job anytime soon before I get laid off, I'll apply for unemployment benefits and keep trying. Good luck to your dh and stay positive.
chicken13
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 12:20 PM

Awww.  That sucks.  I think you've got a good plan for the weeks ahead.  No point in panicking.

JenniferW67
by Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 1:23 PM

I'm so sorry this is happening. What is the job market like there? What did he do for work before? If it was happening to us, we would be looking not only locally, but consider a move, just because jobs are limited in our area. A couple years ago the company my DH was working for showed all the signs that they would be doing major layoffs and cut-backs, anyway he ended up changing careers completely. It was scary, but we finally have found stability. It was a blessing in disguise. Hang in there! Payers that new opportunities are opened up for your DH right now.

katherinemcp
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 1:23 PM
That's scary! I saw your post, too. I hope you are able to find something!

Quoting BeachLifeMama: I'm so sorry about your dh's job and I know the pain cause in a few weeks I'll be jobless. I've been submitting my resume like crazy online and asking friends/family if their job is hiring. If I can't find a replacement job anytime soon before I get laid off, I'll apply for unemployment benefits and keep trying. Good luck to your dh and stay positive.
katherinemcp
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 1:28 PM
We are in Massachusetts. The job market isn't terrible but he looked for a few months before he got this position. Its fairly easy to get jobs as a line cook but to find a position as an Executive Sous Chef or Executive Chef without commuting into Boston can be hard. We aren't ruling out moving but would have to be able to afford to actually move!

Quoting JenniferW67:

I'm so sorry this is happening. What is the job market like there? What did he do for work before? If it was happening to us, we would be looking not only locally, but consider a move, just because jobs are limited in our area. A couple years ago the company my DH was working for showed all the signs that they would be doing major layoffs and cut-backs, anyway he ended up changing careers completely. It was scary, but we finally have found stability. It was a blessing in disguise. Hang in there! Payers that new opportunities are opened up for your DH right now.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 21, 2014 at 2:44 PM

We've been in your shoes, several times.  I HOPE your DH doesn't lose his job!

We cut out all but the necessities.  We got rid of phones, a car, livestock (they require feed), sold furniture that we didn't NEED, took any and all food offered to us for free or discounted.  That period of time is when I developed keen meal planning skills and learned how to make our own soaps/cleaners/etc.  I sewed kids clothing, even shirts for DH and I.  I took in kids for babysitting.  DH would take any day jobs he could get, no matter how dirty he got.

KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Mar. 21, 2014 at 3:16 PM
I hope the worst doesn't happen! I'd start shopping manager specials at the grocery store and stock up on meats and basics as much as possible
RosePetalTears
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 3:42 PM

if i thought that were a possibility i'd try to pay ahead on things like utility bills if i could, i'd squirrel away money and if possible, make sure my pantry was fully stocked. I'd also look for a new job now

JenniferW67
by Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 3:46 PM

I totally agree with this. We cancelled our satellite service, planned meals, sold things that we didn't use/need, stopped mindless spending/impulse buying. The most amazing thing happened when we did this, we realized how simply we could live and how much we enjoyed living simply. We ended up just streaming Netflix and listened to the radio. I thought I would have a panic attack without regular tv and now I can't imagine listening to all those commercials and bad news all the time. We could afford to get satellite or cable now, but we choose not to. Yay!! lol

Quoting michiganmom116:

We've been in your shoes, several times.  I HOPE your DH doesn't lose his job!

We cut out all but the necessities.  We got rid of phones, a car, livestock (they require feed), sold furniture that we didn't NEED, took any and all food offered to us for free or discounted.  That period of time is when I developed keen meal planning skills and learned how to make our own soaps/cleaners/etc.  I sewed kids clothing, even shirts for DH and I.  I took in kids for babysitting.  DH would take any day jobs he could get, no matter how dirty he got.

RonaH
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 4:06 PM

I hope it ends up a false alarm. I would probably hoard my cash and stock up on non perishable items in case. i would also temporarily suspend anything not necessary right now. You can always get it back later. that way you can take the money from that and put it aside. Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN