Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

DH said he might lose his job...

Posted by   + Show Post

Yup. DH came home yesterday saying he thinks with in about 5 weeks he might be out of a job (he is Exec Sous Chef) Basically the Exec Chef is taking another position, which almost always causes a shake up in staff. DH also said that whispers of the owners not being as financially solvent as originally thought have been going around (which would explain why the Exec Chef would be ditching for an hourly position before even being open for 6 months) I think the restaurant is just going through some growing pains- DH *always* looks to the worst case scenario first. Things could work out well and DH could get the Exec Chef position and the owners might be doing just fine.DH is basically doing the Exec's job and is far more than capable of running the restaurant, and as far as I know, the owners like him. A lot of his worry is speculation, I'm sure. There's some level of risk of the restaurant industry and taking this job was a big leap of faith on our part, so its scary that the Exec Chef would be leaving so soon.

DH said he didnt want to scare me but that I needed to know early that it might be a possibility. Yikes. I knew something was up the other day because DH brought home all of his kitchen knives and tools, and we had to order him new uniforms because the restaurant pulled the plug on providing them. The restaurant is still on good credit terms with the vendors (a tell tale sign a restaurant is failing is when their deliveries get put on COD), so things cant be that bad...

Long Story Short, DH is all of a sudden looking for a new job.

I feel bad because DH is beating himself up. He's been having a tough time as some of you know and the last thing we need is for him to be feeling like he has failed us (again). So I want to stay upbeat and hopeful that things will work out- I am trying hard not to freak out but once again, we are bracing ourselves for uncertainty. (insert image of me on the phone shouting CANCEL EVERYTHING! lol)

I'm trying to decide whether to do a pantry challenge type meal plan for the rest of April to stash as much cash as possible, or if I should try not to touch all the food we have saved in case we need it later on, haha. I think maybe I will try to run down the freezer (I've been saying I needed to for a while), but build up our pantry of non perishables. That way we can still have space for any more deals I come across. Glad our plans were to beef up the garden this year already!! Also we are getting chicks in a few weeks but we may take on a few hens that are already laying from a friend, which will be nice. I already am reaching out more for my direct sales business and have been concentrating on earning more Swagbucks. And otherwise we will just have to keep our fingers crossed that things work out!

What would you do if you knew you'd be out of a job in a little over a month?

by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 10:20 AM
Replies (21-28):
TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Mar. 22, 2014 at 3:26 PM
I wouldn't spend anything i didn't have to and try to make as much as possible now. Dh and I do woodcrafts so I would try to make more sells off that. Also would cut our tv service, netflix, my dds cell (only$10 a month but still)
pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 5:21 PM

I will say a prayer his job is safe.  My job was and may still be up in the air.  I work in the food service at a college. There has been shake up.  We currently do not have a union contract. It expired March 6th. Not that it upsets me.  My union  was not ifighting enough for us anyways.  Then people who are lazy and should be let go. Those were the ones the union faught for. People will come to me saying I should worry about my job.  Because the college is trying to outsource the food service to an outside company.  That part I don't believe.  As why would they be hiring people for food service. If they were going to give it to some place like Sodexo or another food service company.  

Caitlin10081989
by Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Save every extra penny possible, look for another job, make every penny stretch as far as possible.

Dee2014
by Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 8:23 PM

I'm so sorry that you and your family are having to prepare for this possibility.
Do you get medical insurance with hubby's job? If so I would take care of any medical/ dental issues with your family now.
Get your checkups, teeth cleaned any eyeglass prescriptions refilled same with any meds.
If you own your own home I would be calling asking what provisions there are if you have to delay payments, etc. Same with utilities , etc. I would check now if you can get any assistance for them or make minimum payments until things turn around. I think it's better to have a game plan and know what you qualify for.
The more things you get in place now the more your husband will be able to focus on his job at the moment and know you are handling the rest. If you are canceling tv, replace with movies from the library etc. so your family doesn't feel deprived.
Take your family once a week to the park with your dinner prepared from home and leave the worry at home for those few hours.
If you start cutting services make sure you keep your internet even if you have to downgrade it a little, you will need that for helpful info. and phone numbers.
I feel bad for you because I can tell you are also worried about your husband and his morale right now. The majority of the time they are our rock but this is the time you will be his. I hope you are just preparing for nothing but you will get your husband and your family thru this difficult time.

Dee2014
by Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 8:27 PM
Can you still use your medical until then? to get teeth cleaned, any medication filled, etc.
I'm sorry that you are going thru this :(

Quoting allycally: Dhs position was cut in Feb...His last day is April 5... He is getting 6 weeks severance pay and hoping they hire him for a different position... it helps that I also work and if need be I can go full time. Stocking up on non perishable essentials is a great idea that way you can 'shop' out of your pantry!
Dee2014
by Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 8:54 PM
I forgot to ask if you updated your hubby's resume and if his working profile is on LinkedIn?
Is there any Headhunting sites for your husband's line of work?

In my thoughts..
opal10161973
by on Mar. 23, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Actually, I will be out of a job in about a month.  My contract is set to expire sometime in April and thus far - our schedules only go to the 18 th.  Thankfully, DH still has a job, but I am still looking for another one.  That is the nice thing about making sure we can survive on his income alone.  It's tight, but not impossible.  I am still finding myself stocking the pantry like a crazy person though.  DH gets mad, but he never had to come home and eat mayo sandwiches as a child. 

momrocks2000
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 10:31 AM

You're welcome!   I've helped out friends and relatives to apply for unemployment.   On one persons', the unemployment agency did not count my MIL's phone call for her two week 'call in', and said it was HER error, and lost her two weeks of unemployment while her Employer said 'she was eligible for U/E, so I had her go to court w/me, got her an attorney to fight it too *the is your right to have an attorney & these are free to get (no cost), since I worked for a law firm, and I'd gone to U/E as an Employee and as a Representative as an Employer, I know the rules;  my MIL was so nervous, but I ended up testifying on her behalf, and the magistrate was delighted I was in the court room, coming from a huge law firm...it was actually 'funny'...I knew she WON her case, and the magistrate ended up offering her three weeks of time instead of only two weeks because she had to miss work, etc.  It went very well, because I had all her documents printed and in date order, both for her Employer, her case, her lawyers, and for the Magistrate.  They were impressed.  I never go into something, thinking I'm going to lose. 

Quoting BeachLifeMama: Never apply before so thanks for letting me know.
Quoting momrocks2000:

If you do apply for unemployment, make sure you do this online and keep a copy of the whole application, and confirmation number, just incase you need to go to unemployment court.  Print (in written form).

Quoting BeachLifeMama: I'm so sorry about your dh's job and I know the pain cause in a few weeks I'll be jobless. I've been submitting my resume like crazy online and asking friends/family if their job is hiring. If I can't find a replacement job anytime soon before I get laid off, I'll apply for unemployment benefits and keep trying. Good luck to your dh and stay positive.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)