Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

couponing help

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2014 at 3:52 AM
  • 24 Replies
How do you start couponing? I know tons of people who save so much. .... What's the secret? ??????? Can't I do this. .HELP
by on Mar. 23, 2014 at 3:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RosePetalTears
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 11:35 AM
3 moms liked this

i don't do the whole extreme thing but  i cut coupons that i might want to use, look at ads and try to combine the sale, ads and hopefully have it be at a store that doubles the coupon value. If its something I can get for free and will use, I'll try to get a couple of them if I can.

mom_of_3_
by Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 3:00 PM
2 moms liked this
I use help from couponmom.com
There are some couponing groups on CM also
aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Mar. 23, 2014 at 5:44 PM

what stores do you shop at? once you have those...you can look for coupon match up sites for those stores...buy your sunday paper to get coupons and also print off coupons.com etc

Come check out  Serious Coupon Swappers for swapping, friendship and chat.
http://www.cafemom.com/group/seriouscouponswappers

DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Mar. 23, 2014 at 5:47 PM
Always use coupons on sale items.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momrocks2000
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 9:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I've been a couponer for a long time. I am not an extream couponer though. I use paper coupons from newspapers, peelie's off the item @ stores, magazines, sign up online for coupons / print off or from the mail.  if I can get get an item for free, by matching a clearance item with a coupon GREAT, or use an in-store coupon + manufacturer coupon + APP generated by the store; and there are many new buy this item, use an APP (send in a copy of your receipt) and get $$ back by PayPal or check)....so many ways to save money.  I typically 'hold' my high value coupons until I find the item on Sale or Clearance, then I can get it for free. I typically do not buy a product just because I have a coupon for the item, and I rarely cut out coupons that I don't use the product,,,I've used to do this, and its a waste of my time.  I prefer coupons that have a long expiration date (those are these best).  I take my small little coupon holder in my purse, when I'm waiting for an appointment, I go thru my coupon holder & throw out all expired coupons...makes it nice & clean.  I carry around about 50 to 100 coupons in my purse at any given time.  I 'share' coupons with my friends if I can't use them. 

momrocks2000
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 9:50 PM
1 mom liked this
  1. You may private email me and ask for my coupon blogger's list I use.. it is extensive...only sign up for email list you think you may apply in your life.  Say I don't buy 20 lb of flour or sugar because I don't bake sweets (i buy them), so for me to save $ on flour or sugar is not necessary, but for other's buying in bulk is a money saver.  I don't have pantries full of food, or a grocery store in my basement, other I do know people 'do this'.  At this time, I really don't have extra funds to build up a huge inventory of items and with a small family I can only do this with non-perishables or non food items...which I've done in prior years, a good fiscal management tool.  I still try to do this with health and beauty products is buy ahead, and make sure old inventory is used 1st, and the newest placed in the back of the closets!
Libra113
by New Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 9:54 PM
I have been trying to start this as well. So interested in what everyone has to say. I feel like there are not a lot of coupons for groceries so how do people cut their grocery bill in half?
momrocks2000
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 10:14 PM

I'm a couponer for a few years, and I've never figured out the 'cut your grocery bill in half' scenario.  Now, if you are using the coupon show as an example, that is b.s. --- all staged..  Yes, I have 'free item' coupons in my coupon envelope, now do I have 4 or 20 of the same coupon ---- no.   I have noticed to that some of the extreme couponers were using the coupons for the wrong size product, & the grocery stores were actually letting the couponer 'do this' , basically for the store to get publicy, i think, wrong on all accounts.  If a store states, we will take 4 coupons the same, on 4 products, great...i follow their rules; if there is no guidelines set, I buy what i need for my family.   If I can save money on areas where coupons are popular, then I can put that money saved into buying fruits, vegetables, and salad for my family.  Thats how I save money...not bu having a coupon for every item I buy, as this would be way too time consuming for my lifestyle.   

< blockquote class="quotedText">Quoting Libra113: I have been trying to start this as well. So interested in what everyone has to say. I feel like there are not a lot of coupons for groceries so how do people cut their grocery bill in half?

AzariahsMother
by on Mar. 23, 2014 at 11:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I just clip the coupons and use them.
rmp
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 11:18 PM
2 moms liked this

When I started over 20 years ago I bought 2 newspapers every sunday for 3 weeks. Then i bought an organizer from Staples. I cut all the coupons and organized them by categories-paper products, baking products(flour, oil and sugar), beauty products and etc. Then I got the weekly ads for all my nearby stores and layed  them all out in my  living room floor and got  a marker. I matched my coupons to all sales items and circled the ads and made notes on them. That would be a good start. Then organize your coupons by 1st isle products and so on. I do not throw out any coupons. You just never know. I may not use clairol haircolor although the coupon last week was 3.00 off and Target and Walgreens have them all on clearance right now for 2.98--so its free. I will post them on my freecycle group or on craigslist as free and put out in my driveway along with other free items like clothes and shoes and someone can use free stuff. Just out of the top of my head 2 people have left me a small gift and one even wrote me a thank you letter. It only takes me a few minutes and it goes to someone that can use it. If I am at a store and coupon will be expiring I leave it next to the product if I am not going to use it--my kids say the coupon fairy is leaving it. LOL 

Last night we went out to eat with coupons and I had two sets of a page full of coupons . We will only use one. I turned around and gave the 2nd page of coupons to the people behind me and they tore it off and gave it to the next person. It beats paying full price!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)