Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Glass containers vs Plastic

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 9:56 AM
  • 38 Replies

What is your opinion? Glass containers vs Plastic.

I bring lunches to work and have recently read about the harm in plastics, I would like to convert everything over to glass, but its alot more expensive.

by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 9:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PinkButterfly66
by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 11:10 AM

I'm with you.  I would like to convert to glass too.  In fact I go out of my way to try and buy items in glass.  There is a local orchard that sells its apple sauce in quart mason jars.  I save those puppies and reuse them.  But they're not always the convenient size for left overs.  I have a few rubber maid glass containers that are smaller but I'm thinking of buying some smaller canning jars to use for leftovers instead.  I already have glass casserole dishes (round with lid, square and rectangular).  And I've thrown out the plastic water bottles, we have stainless steel ones now.

Callaly
by Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 11:17 AM

I am looking for the ones with lids for transport/our lunches. I found a set online it was a 16 piece set (8 containers and 8 lids) and it was 107$ its pricey because I know that I could get good quality plastic ones for way less.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

I'm with you.  I would like to convert to glass too.  In fact I go out of my way to try and buy items in glass.  There is a local orchard that sells its apple sauce in quart mason jars.  I save those puppies and reuse them.  But they're not always the convenient size for left overs.  I have a few rubber maid glass containers that are smaller but I'm thinking of buying some smaller canning jars to use for leftovers instead.  I already have glass casserole dishes (round with lid, square and rectangular).  And I've thrown out the plastic water bottles, we have stainless steel ones now.

PinkButterfly66
by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 11:20 AM

yeah that is expensive and glass is heavy and breakable.  I don't know if I would send a kid's lunch to school in glass.  Tough call that.  There are stainless steel lunch containers, have you considered those?  But they are not cheap either.

Quoting Callaly:

I am looking for the ones with lids for transport/our lunches. I found a set online it was a 16 piece set (8 containers and 8 lids) and it was 107$ its pricey because I know that I could get good quality plastic ones for way less.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Callaly
by Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Right now they would only be used for SO and myself, DD is not in school yet or bringing lunches anywhere. I hasn't considered stainless steel, but wouldn't those get extra hot heating them  up?

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

yeah that is expensive and glass is heavy and breakable.  I don't know if I would send a kid's lunch to school in glass.  Tough call that.  There are stainless steel lunch containers, have you considered those?  But they are not cheap either.

Quoting Callaly:

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

thefiregoddess
by Optimus Prime on Mar. 25, 2014 at 11:50 AM
We use glass just because otherwise I end up letting plastic ones rot.

I just do one container at a time.
antyler
by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 11:51 AM
2 moms liked this
Every chemist I work with uses glass. They know more than I do. I switched to glass.
AzariahsMother
by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Either or works for me.  I mainly have plastic though 

jsbuck
by Janet on Mar. 25, 2014 at 12:35 PM

I switched over to all glass years ago.  I started out with buying just a few glass containers with lids at a time when I could afford them.  I now have an awesome stash.

This is a good starter set for $39.99.  If you use their 20% off coupon and their $5 off coupon it would be a great deal :).

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/Pyrex-reg-Storage-Plus-20-Piece-Container-Set-with-Color-Lids/1040704821?Keyword=Pyrex

ETA:  I do not put the plastic lids in the dishwasher, I hand wash them.

PinkButterfly66
by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 1:10 PM

For hot stuff there are thermos containers.  But if it's just for the adults, then it would be more practical.

Quoting Callaly:

Right now they would only be used for SO and myself, DD is not in school yet or bringing lunches anywhere. I hasn't considered stainless steel, but wouldn't those get extra hot heating them  up?

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Quoting Callaly:

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Callaly
by Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 2:58 PM

Thank you, I am going to check it out and hope they deliver to me lol

Quoting jsbuck:

I switched over to all glass years ago.  I started out with buying just a few glass containers with lids at a time when I could afford them.  I now have an awesome stash.

This is a good starter set for $39.99.  If you use their 20% off coupon and their $5 off coupon it would be a great deal :).

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/Pyrex-reg-Storage-Plus-20-Piece-Container-Set-with-Color-Lids/1040704821?Keyword=Pyrex

ETA:  I do not put the plastic lids in the dishwasher, I hand wash them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)