Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

In a small town...

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2014 at 11:45 AM
  • 27 Replies
1 mom liked this

Ok so I live in Rock springs Wy.  It's small. We have Walmart, Smith's and Alberstons.  Even if I cut a butt load of coupons, I save like $5.  Yes $5 is $5... lol BUT  what are some ways to help me actually see some good savings???  Any help would be appreciated.

THANKS!!!!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 6, 2014 at 11:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jackierc80
by Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 12:01 PM
We just went to smiths yesterday (in Riverton, wy. :)) & bought all things that were in their weekly ad (I found it online) & you can also load their store coupons onto your smiths card from the site. We got 2 carts FULL! 75 lbs. Of It meat- chicken, Pork, beef; and we spent $205. And for enough for 5 of us for 2 Weeks (or more)!
Stacie03
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 12:17 PM

I travel 25 miles (roundtrip) each week to do our shopping, in the summer I'm hoping to only go every other week.  I am able to shop at Aldi's by traveling this far and pick up everything else at Meijer's, I buy our meat in bulk from a local butcher- it's a lot more work on my part but is soo much cheaper.

Good luck small town living is not always easy for saving at the grocery store.  

amonkeymom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Shop the ads and coupon match with them, you'll save more that way.  

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Apr. 6, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Yes, stack manu's with store coupons! 

Quoting jackierc80: We just went to smiths yesterday (in Riverton, wy. :)) & bought all things that were in their weekly ad (I found it online) & you can also load their store coupons onto your smiths card from the site. We got 2 carts FULL! 75 lbs. Of It meat- chicken, Pork, beef; and we spent $205. And for enough for 5 of us for 2 Weeks (or more)!

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Apr. 6, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Do you use Mperks at Meijer?  My DS and DIL bought $200 worth of groceries earlier this week and paid only $75 (rounded amount).

Quoting Stacie03:

I travel 25 miles (roundtrip) each week to do our shopping, in the summer I'm hoping to only go every other week.  I am able to shop at Aldi's by traveling this far and pick up everything else at Meijer's, I buy our meat in bulk from a local butcher- it's a lot more work on my part but is soo much cheaper.

Debmomto2girls
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I buy my meat from an Amish farmer's arket - cheap, organic and in bulk

I rarely use coupons.  I find store brands to be cheaper..

Stacie03
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 3:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I do. I'm not a serious enough couponer to take full advantage of everything Mperks offers but do get a few dollars knocked off every visit.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Do you use Mperks at Meijer?  My DS and DIL bought $200 worth of groceries earlier this week and paid only $75 (rounded amount).

Quoting Stacie03:

AzariahsMother
by on Apr. 6, 2014 at 7:44 PM
I'm not sure
clairewait
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 7:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Even Albertson's has weekly sales. You have to learn how to get on the sale schedule and only buy what is on sale. For most grocery stores, there is a 6 week cycle, but I'll be honest and say I've noticed many things go on sale more often than that.

You can read the article in my signature for my best advice for grocery shopping budget lowering. Walmart also has weekly sales.

Probably the one tip in there that you could make the best use of is to start getting the circular in your email and make your lists from there.

Even in my big town, I do the majority of my shopping at one grocery store, and it is considered one of the more "expensive" places to shop. I save the most money there by watching the sales and rarely purchasing anything at full price.

firespurity
by New Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 7:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Figure out the price rotations I the things you buy regularly. Like many grocery stores drop produce prices every couple of days, right before they get more. And certain meats are I sale during certain times of the month or season. Even stuff with a long shelf life goes on sale every so often. If you notice a sake while you're at the store right it down until you notice a pattern.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN