Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Homemade Cough & Cold Syrup - would you try it??

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 12:06 PM
  • 17 Replies

Homemade Cough & Cold Syrup

Untitled

I tried my hand at making Homemade Cough & Cold Syrup last week.

Untitled

It was really easy to make (ignore the fact that I didn’t use raw honey or fresh lemons — I’m all about using what I have!)

Untitled

The end result was a little less syrup-y than I expected, but I warmed it up a bit and then it looked just perfect.

Overall, I was really happy with how the Homemade Cough & Cold Syrup turned out and am anxious to try using it the next time someone has a bad cough around here!

by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 12:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Apr. 9, 2014 at 12:13 PM

It wouldn't hurt, and the ingredients make sense.  I'd try it.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Apr. 9, 2014 at 12:14 PM

I figure some people might think they rather go with the store bought stuff over something like this....

Quoting michiganmom116:

It wouldn't hurt, and the ingredients make sense.  I'd try it.

specialwingz
by Corey on Apr. 9, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Absolutely!  Honey and lemon have been a natural cough remedy for ages.  Cinnamon has its own healing properties. Not sure about the purpose of the coconut oil.  But, it can't hurt.  Perhaps it's a coating for the throat.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

ladyvamp5489
by Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 12:57 PM

my mom used to give us honey and lemon, never heard of using the other stuff, but i can see why it would work. I use the honey and lemon for my kids.

amonkeymom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Of course!  I'd much rather use something natural than things with chemicals and dyes in them.  Of course, my daughter is allergic to honey so we have to do other things for her (hot tea with lemon & agave is her current favorite remedy).

vmommy
by Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Same here

Quoting ladyvamp5489:

my mom used to give us honey and lemon, never heard of using the other stuff, but i can see why it would work. I use the honey and lemon for my kids.

sweetspice03
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 1:17 AM

For a mild cough, the kids usually get just a spoonful of honey, and it helps.  I also make sure they up their water intake.  Sometimes I'll make them a small cup of hot tea with honey and lemon if they need it.  But if my daughter's cough gets really really bad, she uses albuterol through the nebulizer.  I don't mind home and natural remedies, but sometimes there's a point where medicine becomes necessary.

linz04060913
by Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 2:04 AM

I would make my own before buying something off the shelf :)

907PickleMom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 2:09 AM
Nifty! Where did you get the recepie?
chillemi78
by Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 6:53 AM
I currently use a homepathic cough syrup, but I might try this for my son's cough today.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)