Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Living in a tiny space with kids; need advice

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2014 at 7:24 PM
  • 9 Replies
We will be living in a camper this summer with my 9 month old and 3 yr old. 10 acres of woods all around. What tips do you have? What's essential? Any tips?
by on Apr. 13, 2014 at 7:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
XOXOnBubbles
by Bronze Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 7:41 PM
2 moms liked this

Make sure you have obvious boundaries.  They will want to spend LOTS of time playing outside.  You don't want them wandering too far without mom or dad.  I would look for outside toys to keep them occupied as they won't have much room indoors.  Also I would find alternative places to go (like McDonald's with a play area, or a friend's house) for days that it is rainy and you are going stir crazy stuck inside.  

Stacie03
by Silver Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 7:49 PM
2 moms liked this

Don't put all the toys out at once.  Divide them into 2 or 3 different containers and rotate through them changing every couple of weeks or whenever the kids seem to be bored.  Definitly embrace the outdoors, play outside as much as possible to make it seem like you have more room, even create an outdoor livingroom area if possible.  Look for free programs at the library to get out once a week or so, or visit on a rainy day.  Good luck you'll all come away with some great memories!

lrose57
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 7:44 AM
1 mom liked this
I am all for the free programs..we have a theater that shows kids movies for free each week ...smuggle in snacks.,.I would invest in a play yard fence to keep them close in...we have parks that are only $2 per car to get into with a lake to swim and a playground etc...
clairewait
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 8:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Make a weekly schedule. It is the only way I survived entire summers in a tiny condo (with very little outside yard space) with two kids about the same age.

I pretty much planned an away-from-home activity M-F from 9-noon every day. One day a week was at a pool of a friends. One day a week was a standing playdate at another friends house. One day was library story time, and two days a week we went to the gym.

Then I'd come home, do lunch and nap/quiet-time, and I'd really only have that 60-90 minutes before dinner to fill, which I used for things like art, bubbles, snack time, etc.

Truly, I had to think like a pre-school teacher to keep my kids and myself sane, but it totally worked and both summers were great.

KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Apr. 14, 2014 at 11:07 AM
2 moms liked this
I'm a sahm and I need to do this lol

Quoting clairewait:

Make a weekly schedule. It is the only way I survived entire summers in a tiny condo (with very little outside yard space) with two kids about the same age.

I pretty much planned an away-from-home activity M-F from 9-noon every day. One day a week was at a pool of a friends. One day a week was a standing playdate at another friends house. One day was library story time, and two days a week we went to the gym.

Then I'd come home, do lunch and nap/quiet-time, and I'd really only have that 60-90 minutes before dinner to fill, which I used for things like art, bubbles, snack time, etc.

Truly, I had to think like a pre-school teacher to keep my kids and myself sane, but it totally worked and both summers were great.

TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Apr. 14, 2014 at 11:30 AM
Have a schedule like a daycare does. Schedule lots of time outside, some quiet reading or electronic time or drawing time inside, of course nap time. Let the 3yo help you cook. Go for lots of walks or bike rides. And minimalize. Have 2-3 different containers of toys and only have one out a time.
shellybird
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 1:59 PM
2 moms liked this

I would invest in one of those mesh tents that you could put a table in or carpet in that way you can still play outside but away from bugs, you also won't feel so cramped in the camper.

oddfox
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 6:15 PM

You may want to try some of the tiny house blogs for ideas. Andrew and Crystal Odem are living in a RV for now and blogging about their experiences.

AzariahsMother
by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 9:59 PM

Sounds like they will have tons of out door space which is a great thing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN