Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Unplanned trip...how do you save?

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 7:12 AM
  • 31 Replies

Well..We've got a totally unplanned trip to Pittsburgh at the end of May.  We don't have a lot of details yet...just that it's Thursday through Monday of the Memorial Day weekend.  

Needless to say...it's not in the budget.

ive got to board the dogs, arrange transportation (we may get a bus), arrange hotel and figure out food.

how do you save on unexpected travel?

by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 7:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
elephantmamaof2
by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 7:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Not sure where exactly you need to stay and what your hotel budget is, but I'm in Pittsburgh and if you'll be staying downtown look into the Hyatt House hotel, they have full kitchens in the hotel room, including dishwasher, pots and pans, absolutely everything you could possibly need to cook right in the hotel room! Its also located right near a grocery store.

chicken13
by Silver Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 7:27 AM

Dh says we will be staying near cranberry.  Does that make sense?  There's a marriott there and he's trying to book it with points.  

I won't have time to cook every meal and dd will probably want to eat with her team.  Depending on how we get there...I'm thinking a cooler, our travel Keurig and some snacks, breakfast and lunch fixings...PB&J?!  If we fly down...I'll hit a grocery. 

Quoting elephantmamaof2:

Not sure where exactly you need to stay and what your hotel budget is, but I'm in Pittsburgh and if you'll be staying downtown look into the Hyatt House hotel, they have full kitchens in the hotel room, including dishwasher, pots and pans, absolutely everything you could possibly need to cook right in the hotel room! Its also located right near a grocery store.

elephantmamaof2
by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 7:47 AM

Cranberry is a bit north of the city. If you end up flying you'll probably want to rent a car instead of taking a cab, the airport is pretty far from cranberry and taxi's are insane expensive here. You'd probably spend less $ renting a car for those days than paying a taxi to take to and from the airport. But there are tons of places to get food and stuff up in cranberry, its a pretty busy area! There's lots of affordable restaurants too. Only thing I'm not sure of is if there's a greyhound or bus station there, you might have to transfer from downtown or one of the other hubs if you take a bus. But also look into shuttles at whatever hotel you're staying at, especially since it will be a weekend! 

Quoting chicken13:

Dh says we will be staying near cranberry.  Does that make sense?  There's a marriott there and he's trying to book it with points.  

I won't have time to cook every meal and dd will probably want to eat with her team.  Depending on how we get there...I'm thinking a cooler, our travel Keurig and some snacks, breakfast and lunch fixings...PB&J?!  If we fly down...I'll hit a grocery. 

Quoting elephantmamaof2:

clairewait
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 8:12 AM

Depending on where we are going we've used "Name your price" on priceline for lots of last minute hotel stays. We also save by doing like the PP said and eating in the room, or making sure we have a hotel with continental breakfast, etc.

If you would take a bus, why not just drive your own car? Seems like it would save you on transportation around the city and definitely would be faster. Just a thought.

chillemi78
by Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 8:18 AM
That's unplanned? Lol. My husband is the king of last minute. He told me yesterday we are taking a day trip to the beach today. The biggest expense that you can really save is food. And that's easy enough to keep under control with just a refrigerator in your room, even better with a kitchen. You are way over 30 days away which is the best time for booking. Compare leaving a day before and staying a day after with the difference in hotel costs. Avoiding peak travel times can be worth the cost of an extra day at the hotel. Check Amtrak as well. It's not always cheaper than flying, but can be more convenient and I personally think way more relaxing. Points might be hard for a holiday weekend to book the hotel, so keep that in mind. But check to see if your group has a block rate anywhere. Do you have any neighbors that could come take care of your dogs? Maybe even trade services for when they go on vacation and need petsitting? Care.com also offers pet sitting and has the background check option and reference checks. Good luck, enjoy the trip!
chicken13
by Silver Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 9:08 AM

The team may get a bus.  It's a 12 hr drive (at least) and I know several of the girls won't have a parent that is going.  In fact, we will probably end up with 1 or 2 staying with us. 

Quoting clairewait:

Depending on where we are going we've used "Name your price" on priceline for lots of last minute hotel stays. We also save by doing like the PP said and eating in the room, or making sure we have a hotel with continental breakfast, etc.

If you would take a bus, why not just drive your own car? Seems like it would save you on transportation around the city and definitely would be faster. Just a thought.

chicken13
by Silver Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 9:13 AM

The cats will need a pet sitter.  And I can't have the dogs in the house if a pet sitter has a chance of getting in.  That's just my world...I'm not complaining.

Quoting chillemi78: That's unplanned? Lol. My husband is the king of last minute. He told me yesterday we are taking a day trip to the beach today. The biggest expense that you can really save is food. And that's easy enough to keep under control with just a refrigerator in your room, even better with a kitchen. You are way over 30 days away which is the best time for booking. Compare leaving a day before and staying a day after with the difference in hotel costs. Avoiding peak travel times can be worth the cost of an extra day at the hotel. Check Amtrak as well. It's not always cheaper than flying, but can be more convenient and I personally think way more relaxing. Points might be hard for a holiday weekend to book the hotel, so keep that in mind. But check to see if your group has a block rate anywhere. Do you have any neighbors that could come take care of your dogs? Maybe even trade services for when they go on vacation and need petsitting? Care.com also offers pet sitting and has the background check option and reference checks. Good luck, enjoy the trip!

chicken13
by Silver Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Dh got us into a residence inn.  It's got a full kitchen and a separate bedroom (for us) the girls can have the pull out in the living room. 

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Apr. 14, 2014 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this

just look around for the best deal you can online and use a rewards back site or something along with it...

DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Apr. 14, 2014 at 12:36 PM

I start looking for discounts, any coupons through the companies I would use. And avoid eating out as much as possible. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN