Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

couponing?? I need a how to guide

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 9:41 AM
  • 16 Replies

I want to start using coupons but I dont kow where to start? Are there any how to guides on this stuff? I do try to use coupons but I get a little overwhelmed

by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama-wife2013
by New Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 10:08 AM
Following
ladyvamp5489
by Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 1:06 PM

great question i hope to learn here too

ashleymarie0828
by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 1:11 PM

The thing is that you have to learn to stack coupons on top of sales. The best place to that is Walmart because they price match everything, including BOGOs and they do so at their price instead of the competitor's.  So you just need to get the Sunday paper and all the circulars will be in there, along with three different coupon catalogs. Obviously clip all the coupons that you will use. Then, go through the store circulars and write down all the sales that you want to price match. That's it. The other day I paid 90 cents for two 75 oz bottles of laundry detergent by price matching a bogo offer then using two coupons on it. You can stack 1 coupon on top of the other for BOGOs.

specialwingz
by Corey on Apr. 18, 2014 at 1:13 PM
2 moms liked this

Couponing these days doesn't hold the financial benefits that it used to.  The coupon values are way lower, many you have to buy multiples in order to use and very often aren't for things I'd actually use.

My rule of thumb...DO NOT use a coupon just because you have it.  If it's not for something you actually use, it's worthless.  I have on rare occasion used one for something new I'd like to try.  It's a nice way to try something new for less.

I have found that my store brand products are comparable in quality as name brands and way cheaper, even when using a coupon with the name brand.  My store brand green beans are .48 per can.  Using a .25/2 coupon on the name brand brings the name brand down to $1.35 for 2.  Makes more sense to buy the store brand.

Many store brand items are manufactured by the name brand company who has been contracted to place the store label on the product.  

Some people have a stigma about store brands.  They think one buys them because they're poor.  No, I buy store brand products because they taste just as good and they save me at least $30 on my regular grocery bill every week!

So, the best advice I have, go to the grocery store with coupons and calculator in hand.  Do the math.  See if that coupon (for something you actually use) will bring the price down below the price of the store brand.  Most often, it does not.

nikkirb
by New Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 2:37 PM
I do generic brand everything, and before I go to miejers or Kroger I always do their clip coupon app
e.sugarbaby
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2014 at 9:24 AM

I get the idea of price matching...but please explain how do you convince the Walmart employee of the competitors price?  May be a dumb question but I have always wondered about this. ;)

Quoting ashleymarie0828:

The thing is that you have to learn to stack coupons on top of sales. The best place to that is Walmart because they price match everything, including BOGOs and they do so at their price instead of the competitor's.  So you just need to get the Sunday paper and all the circulars will be in there, along with three different coupon catalogs. Obviously clip all the coupons that you will use. Then, go through the store circulars and write down all the sales that you want to price match. That's it. The other day I paid 90 cents for two 75 oz bottles of laundry detergent by price matching a bogo offer then using two coupons on it. You can stack 1 coupon on top of the other for BOGOs.

AzariahsMother
by on Apr. 19, 2014 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this

You don't think so?  I am not an extreme to using them, but I always save about $20-$40 per trip.

Quoting specialwingz:

Couponing these days doesn't hold the financial benefits that it used to.  The coupon values are way lower, many you have to buy multiples in order to use and very often aren't for things I'd actually use.

My rule of thumb...DO NOT use a coupon just because you have it.  If it's not for something you actually use, it's worthless.  I have on rare occasion used one for something new I'd like to try.  It's a nice way to try something new for less.

I have found that my store brand products are comparable in quality as name brands and way cheaper, even when using a coupon with the name brand.  My store brand green beans are .48 per can.  Using a .25/2 coupon on the name brand brings the name brand down to $1.35 for 2.  Makes more sense to buy the store brand.

Many store brand items are manufactured by the name brand company who has been contracted to place the store label on the product.  

Some people have a stigma about store brands.  They think one buys them because they're poor.  No, I buy store brand products because they taste just as good and they save me at least $30 on my regular grocery bill every week!

So, the best advice I have, go to the grocery store with coupons and calculator in hand.  Do the math.  See if that coupon (for something you actually use) will bring the price down below the price of the store brand.  Most often, it does not.

ashleymarie0828
by on Apr. 19, 2014 at 11:45 AM

I always bring the sale papers with me and circle all of the ones I'm using, but most of the time they don't want you to show them anyway because it takes to long. My mom works at walmart and says that they look at the sale papers in the morning in the break room and try to remember items that a lot of people would buy. I see a lot of older people who don't even bring the sale paper. They just write what the prices are on a piece of paper and the cashiers just seem to believe them. 

Quoting e.sugarbaby:

I get the idea of price matching...but please explain how do you convince the Walmart employee of the competitors price?  May be a dumb question but I have always wondered about this. ;)

Quoting ashleymarie0828:

clairewait
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2014 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I've actually drastically reduced my grocery budget by simply changing my shopping habits. Coupons are like a bonus, but certainly not my focus.

I've outlined my best advice for saving money at the grocery store in the link in my signature. These are my best tips for saving money WITHOUT coupons. If you can master them, adding coupons where they apply simply furthers your savings.

MariannLws
by Member on Apr. 19, 2014 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this

The Krazy Coupon Lady is a great website to learn how to coupon. 

Couponing takes a lot of planning and work. If you really want the savings on actual items you use it can be done. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)