Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

heeey ladies , famliy vacation help!

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 6:08 PM
  • 11 Replies
We are going on a family vacation to Daytona beach in may. Me, hubby, two boys 12 yrs old and 6 yrs old. How can I make this vacation fun while saving money? How can I make memories for my kids while on vacation? Thank you.
by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 6:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
M0M0F3B0YS82
by Morgan on Apr. 22, 2014 at 6:12 PM
Have you researched what's in the area as far as attractions and things to do
rmp
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:20 PM
2 moms liked this

Check online to see what attractions are free. We take roadtrips every summer and you would be surprised at the attractions we went to . My kids said they loved the Candy factory and Museum the best!! They were free!!!! We stay at hotels and  take a lot of snacks, popcorn to pop in microwave and drinks for small fridge in hotel. We always stay at Hampton Inn, Best Western Plus, and Fairfield Inn /Springfield Suites(both are Marriott family). All those have free Big breakfast and Free hot cookies in the evening. Take your swimsuits for hotel pool. I take my crockpot and set it for dinner. We just buy lunch only. We stop at local Walmart and get Chicken legs or thighs ($5), a bottle of bbq sauce(90 cents), one baked potato for each person-so 5 or 6($3) , aluminum foil($1), dinner rolls(5 for $1) and we sometimes splurge on a small chocolate cake ( $6) in walmart bakery. I put chicken , in crock pot and pour bbq sauce on top the whole bottle, then wash and scrub potatos and wrap in aluminum and place on top of chicken with bbq sauce put on low all day . When you come home in evening after sightseeing dinner is cooked . Make sure you have plastic forks and plates. After dinner eat cake!!! Yummy ---you can also make pork chops ($9) and bbq sauce if you dont want chicken. Someone in this group also suggested chicken fajitas( 2 pounds --$5) and flour tortillas($1.30 a pack) on griddle for pancakes you plug in . That is also a great idea!!!

TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Apr. 22, 2014 at 10:31 PM
Definitely get a room with a kitchenette. Cooking your own food and going back to the room for lunch is soo much cheaper than eating out every meal
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 10:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I like to go to vacation rentals by owner and rent a condo on the beach.  It's often cheaper than a hotel. We have more room plus usually a washer and dryer so we can pack less. And we have a kitchen, which allows us to get groceries, have food whenever we want, we save the trouble of getting ready and going out eating, the time and the money.

We don't usually go anywhere. We just relax. My now adult kids still look forward to our beach trip every year. We read, play games, spend time as a family not too busy to spend time together, swim in the pool and ocean and just ahhh, relax!

AiW
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 4:24 AM
1 mom liked this
Besides preparing most of your meals, check out Groupon for any local deals. Google area zoos and museums and see of they have any discount days. Also, if you're driving, sometimes the rest stops have coupon books.
HotMomma2622
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 6:34 AM
Yeah. We have a room with a full kitchen. We will be going our to eat but mostly making our own meals.

Quoting TheBabyFactory4: Definitely get a room with a kitchenette. Cooking your own food and going back to the room for lunch is soo much cheaper than eating out every meal
beachmom2one
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 7:53 AM

I would look on groupon and living social for deals on stuff to do and restaurants.com is a great deal when they have their promos.  The main attraction is the beach so I would spend most of my time there, especially if you live where there is no beach.  If your boys are into it, the Kennedy Space Center is about an hour away.  That alone could make the beach vacation memorable.

notjstasocermom
by New Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:01 AM
Bring your own food, thats a huge one.

make a budget and stick to it
specialwingz
by Corey on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Get up early in the mornings and walk the beach as the tide goes out.  You will find all kinds of neat creatures and treasures!

specialwingz
by Corey on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:06 AM

Then, definitely take some food of your own!  We did this in Hawaii and it was a HUGE money saver.  We saved the "going out" for a main meal or two.  Like dinner at a really nice local restaurant to get a taste of the area.  But, breakfast and lunch is pretty much the same everywhere.  So, we kept supplies for those in the fridge in the room.

Quoting HotMomma2622: Yeah. We have a room with a full kitchen. We will be going our to eat but mostly making our own meals.
Quoting TheBabyFactory4: Definitely get a room with a kitchenette. Cooking your own food and going back to the room for lunch is soo much cheaper than eating out every meal

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)