Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

with your vehicle....

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:15 AM
  • 20 Replies

we keep up with oil changes and air filters...... check tires etc... but I am wondering...do you usually get a transmission flush or a radiator/coolant flush at the recommended miles? Our oil changing place recommends it at a certain mileage....but the vehicle is not having any problems etc.  (I know preventative work is best...but those "flushes" would cost around $180 each!  Money is a bit tight.......) so I am wondering...do you do them????

by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:38 AM

I don't usually. My car is 21 years old and runs fine. I get them when I "really" need them not when recommended. I put off oil changes too. New studies find you don't really need them that often.

specialwingz
by Corey on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:58 AM
3 moms liked this

We have a little Saturn Ion that has 130K miles on it.  It has never had a radiator flush.  We keep up with the same basic maintenance items you mentioned.  From the very first oil change at mile 3K, lube places have tried to push other services (usually expensive) onto my bill.  I wouldn't have it.  Their sales on their oil changes are their loss leader.  It gets your car in the shop, gets them under the hood and prompts them to try to sell you other services where they make their REAL money.

I just tell them that my husband handles everything else as it needs done, thank you.

***Disclaimer

I am NOT telling anyone to skip regular maintenance on their vehicle!  I'm just saying to NOT let lube guys run your maintenance program.  They will push things you don't neccessarily need yet.  Run your own program as you need things to be done.

I had one guy tell me at an oil change that I desparately needed a new air filter.  Funny thing about that, my husband had just put in a new one the previous weekend.  I had the guy take me out and show me the "dirty" filter.  Yeah, he choked.

So, beware of those lube guys.  They are out for $$$.  Not YOUR best interest.

specialwingz
by Corey on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Exactly!  With all the additives they put in the oil now, you can go longer than they typical lube change places suggest.  And, when using a synthetic oil ,even way longer.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

I don't usually. My car is 21 years old and runs fine. I get them when I "really" need them not when recommended. I put off oil changes too. New studies find you don't really need them that often.

JasonsMom2007
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Open the radiator cap (make sure the vehicle is cold!) And look at the fluid. I can't stress enough making sure it's cold btw. Otherwise it's full of hot, steamy fluid which will explode into your face. Look at the fluid. It should be a neon green color. If it looks watery or brownish it needs flushed. Can't really help you with transmission I just do that one when I'm told. But my dad is a mechanic and I grew up in his auto repair shop so it's not a big deal around here.
JasonsMom2007
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh and while we're on the subject make sure you are getting a lube oil filter (lof) not just an oil change. Oil change frequently means pull the oil plug, replace, refill. The filter needs to be changed and the lube points lined!
energygirl
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:26 AM

thank you! This is kind of what we were thinking too (and we realize that anything can happen...so it is a risk not having the stuff done) but it is nice to know that we aren't "nuts" for skipping those services to save the money etc.   I too always say I will "let my husband know" when they recommend stuff..... it kind of ends the conversation because it makes them realize that I will not be arranging any sale/service so they are wasting their breath lol....

Quoting specialwingz:

We have a little Saturn Ion that has 130K miles on it.  It has never had a radiator flush.  We keep up with the same basic maintenance items you mentioned.  From the very first oil change at mile 3K, lube places have tried to push other services (usually expensive) onto my bill.  I wouldn't have it.  Their sales on their oil changes are their loss leader.  It gets your car in the shop, gets them under the hood and prompts them to try to sell you other services where they make their REAL money.

I just tell them that my husband handles everything else as it needs done, thank you.

***Disclaimer

I am NOT telling anyone to skip regular maintenance on their vehicle!  I'm just saying to NOT let lube guys run your maintenance program.  They will push things you don't neccessarily need yet.  Run your own program as you need things to be done.

I had one guy tell me at an oil change that I desparately needed a new air filter.  Funny thing about that, my husband had just put in a new one the previous weekend.  I had the guy take me out and show me the "dirty" filter.  Yeah, he choked.

specialwingz
by Corey on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this

You will also find that they will offer those "necessary" services to women and elderly people more than the average male customer.  Yep yep yep.  =/

Quoting energygirl:

thank you! This is kind of what we were thinking too (and we realize that anything can happen...so it is a risk not having the stuff done) but it is nice to know that we aren't "nuts" for skipping those services to save the money etc.   I too always say I will "let my husband know" when they recommend stuff..... it kind of ends the conversation because it makes them realize that I will not be arranging any sale/service so they are wasting their breath lol....

Quoting specialwingz:

***Disclaimer

Marz31
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:47 AM

We've been in bad habits with previous cars, but with the new car, we bought a maintenance contract (it's a Hyundai, so extended warranty is not really necessary) that includes all the usual stuff and all the more unusual stuff too (maybe not everything altho brakes are included which is REALLY nice since we live on a plateau and it's quite a steep hill to get down! We've already taken advantage of the wiper portion, because the wiper that came on the car was broken (still worked, but part was missing and it was slipping around, NOT great for the PNW spring! LOL) but I aniticpate being able to keep up the routine maintenance on the new car happily. it's so expensive, if you have to pay for it as you go! 

JasonsMom2007
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 1:33 PM
You need to find an honest mechanic :( one who doesn't believe in recommending things just for the $$
For the record brakes are the most commonly recommended unnecessary job.

Quoting specialwingz:

***Disclaimer

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Apr. 23, 2014 at 1:42 PM
1 mom liked this

My DS does our auto work except for the big engine repairs.  He endorses the coolant and transmission flushes according to the manufacturer's recommendations (not the oil change places)....get the debris out before it causes damage.   According to him, they're not that hard to do and you can probably do them yourself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN