Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

How old is old enough for one of these?

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 1:54 PM
  • 48 Replies

A checking account.

I think I was a senior in high school when I got my first checking account but I was working and depositing my paychecks every 2 weeks.  Of course, this was before debit cards so it wasn't as easy to go crazy with spending.

How old were you when you got your first checking account?

by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 1:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Apr. 23, 2014 at 2:09 PM

18, unless a parent is going to co-sign every check.

I was 18, newly graduated from school.

katiebug840204
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 2:12 PM
I was about 20 I think.
lizfnf
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 2:19 PM
I was 16. I needed a checking account so I could pay for my car insurance. My parents deal was we'll buy you the car but you have to insure it on your own. My mom went with me to set the account up but she wasn't a Co - signer on it.
chicken13
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 3:59 PM

Not true at all.

we got dd on student checking account and debit card at 13.  Now good luck to her if anyone will take a check without a picture ID.  But no one ever flinches when she whips out her debit card.

Quoting michiganmom116:

diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Apr. 23, 2014 at 4:03 PM

I was also a senior in high school when I opened up my first checking account. I still have the checking account.

amonkeymom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 4:10 PM

How does your daughter do with her account?  Is she good at keeping track of her spending?

Quoting chicken13:

Not true at all.

we got dd on student checking account and debit card at 13.  Now good luck to her if anyone will take a check without a picture ID.  But no one ever flinches when she whips out her debit card.

Quoting michiganmom116:

littlecheifsmom
by New Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 4:15 PM
15 mom.was co signer till 18.
Mygirl30248
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I got my daughter one last year, she's now 6yo. 

Basically I went with a checking acct bc for a savings acct we can't pull out via the ATM any of her cash. Now she uses it for savings but occasionally she wants a pack of poke mon cards or something & I'll allow her to use her debit card to purchase items. She loves to have her own money, with limits of course & I can easily monitor it online. The card however is in my name but my bank put my daughter's name next to it so when they pull up my accts they see her name too for that one. 

shellybird
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 4:24 PM

I got a CC when I was 17 (went to NYC and my mom thought it was better than a whole ton of cash) and I was 18 when I got my checking account

mybratsmom
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 4:25 PM
I had a checking account at 14, but I worked and had money coming in and expenses I had to pay.

My daughter can have one when she starts working outside the house (for others) - she's 14 now so we're just waiting on her. We won't be co-signing.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN