Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Roku?

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2014 at 3:46 PM
  • 32 Replies

Hey ladies...have any of you used the Roku streaming device? We are thinking about getting rid of Comcast (we're paying about 140/mo for phone, internet, and tv) and switching to AT&T for phone and internet (for about $65/mo), and then getting the ROKU 3 for the living room and the ROKU Stream Stick for the bedroom. I would like to know if any of you ladies have tried those devices or anything similar. Are they kid friendly and easy to use? Is it worth it? Thank you!

by on Apr. 26, 2014 at 3:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
diaperstodating
by Angel on Apr. 26, 2014 at 3:52 PM
2 moms liked this
We have a Roku in my sons (9 and 5) room. It is kid friendly, and easy to use. I think it's worth it, it is cheaper than the Apple TV we have in the living room, and offers more channels.
nikkidedman
by New Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 3:54 PM
I've been thinking of getting one so we can watch Netflix in the bedroom. My cousin has one and I just tried it the other day. It was pretty easy to use and seems like it would be kid friendly.
anotherandree
by Inga on Apr. 26, 2014 at 4:03 PM
1 mom liked this
We have Roku for the kids' room but use Chromecast for our room and the living room. I attached a link to what Chromecast is, but I'm mobile so I can't make it clicky. IMO, it's easier (and cheaper) than Roku, but your "channels" are more limited to Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, WWE Network, and a few other random ones. We really only use Netflix and Hulu ( but my husband uses WWE).

http://www.google.com/intl/en-us/chrome/devices/chromecast/
anotherandree
by Inga on Apr. 26, 2014 at 4:05 PM
It is kids friendly but there is no way to block access to certain things. Like if they decide to get a random channel (like Crackle) which is free, there are NO RESTRICTIONS for anything over PG.

Quoting nikkidedman: I've been thinking of getting one so we can watch Netflix in the bedroom. My cousin has one and I just tried it the other day. It was pretty easy to use and seems like it would be kid friendly.
thefiregoddess
by Optimus Prime on Apr. 26, 2014 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this
I have no idea honestly I've never even seen a roku in person. Doesn't it do the same thing as a wii or xbox?
schatzi869
by Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Not sure! I've never used a Wii and although we have an Xbox 360, I have never connected it to the internet or anything. Actually, I'm the only one that plays it and I only play one game, lol. 

Quoting thefiregoddess: I have no idea honestly I've never even seen a roku in person. Doesn't it do the same thing as a wii or xbox?

schatzi869
by Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 4:26 PM

On the Roku, can you get some of the popular kid channels? My son likes Disney Jr and Nick Jr the most, although he does watch Sprout and another channel (might be one of the Disney or Nickelodean channels). His favorite channel is NatGeo Wild, though.

Quoting diaperstodating: We have a Roku in my sons (9 and 5) room. It is kid friendly, and easy to use. I think it's worth it, it is cheaper than the Apple TV we have in the living room, and offers more channels.

schatzi869
by Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 4:29 PM

I'll look at the Chromcast too. We were thinking about looking into the new Amazon FireTv too. As for the Roku though, can you get Disney Jr and Nick Jr? What about NatGeo Wild (I think it's basically the new name for National Geographic...my kid and husband are addicted to it). I mostly watch A&E and the CW

Quoting anotherandree: We have Roku for the kids' room but use Chromecast for our room and the living room. I attached a link to what Chromecast is, but I'm mobile so I can't make it clicky. IMO, it's easier (and cheaper) than Roku, but your "channels" are more limited to Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, WWE Network, and a few other random ones. We really only use Netflix and Hulu ( but my husband uses WWE). http://www.google.com/intl/en-us/chrome/devices/chromecast/

suroundedbyboys
by Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 4:41 PM
We love the Roku! We have a 3 in our living room and a 2 in our family room. We use it mainly for netflix and YouTube, my daughter who is 2 also loves the fit you channel.

We still have cable though, we have whole house dvr bundle with tv, phone, internet through time Warner.
nikkidedman
by New Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 4:43 PM
I saw that you control it from your phone. Do you have to play whatever it is on your phone at the same time to watch it on tv? Does that make sense? I want something basically just for Netflix and if it is cheaper I would consider it

Quoting anotherandree: We have Roku for the kids' room but use Chromecast for our room and the living room. I attached a link to what Chromecast is, but I'm mobile so I can't make it clicky. IMO, it's easier (and cheaper) than Roku, but your "channels" are more limited to Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, WWE Network, and a few other random ones. We really only use Netflix and Hulu ( but my husband uses WWE).

http://www.google.com/intl/en-us/chrome/devices/chromecast/
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)