Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Michigan Krogers to end doubling of coupons, cut prices 'storewide'

Posted by on May. 3, 2014 at 3:58 PM
  • 30 Replies

About 126 stores will be impacted by the changes in Michigan.
About 126 stores will be impacted by the changes in Michigan. / Andre J. Jackson/Detroit Free Press

Michigan Kroger stores will end the practice of doubling the value of coupons on May 14, the company announced late Friday. Within a few hours of posting the change, the company’s Facebook page was flooded by comments from shoppers with reactions ranging from disappointment to relief.

Kroger currently doubles coupons up to 50 cents and up to $1 at some stores.

The company will continue to accept printed, printable or electronic coupons at face value. Jayne Homco, president of the Kroger Co. of Michigan, said in a statement that less than 1% of Kroger customers are traditional coupon users.

Dryden resident Amy Fletcher-Pusz said the elimination of double couponing will change the way she shops at Kroger.

“We are a family of six and I try hard to stick to a budget, so I coupon,” she said, adding that she’s a loyal Kroger customer. “I am not an extreme couponer and I never clear shelves. I use coupons for the higher-priced items like laundry soap, dishwasher soap, shampoo, that kind of stuff, so I free up money to buy food.

“Now that doubling has stopped, that it going to put me in the hole and we will have to up our grocery budget or cut even more items out of it.”

But Jesay Scura said on Facebook that she’s excited for the change. “I like using coupons to help me lower my grocery bill, but those coupon users who clear out shelves to resale items for more than they originally paid annoy me tremendously.”

Ken McClure, consumer communications manager for the Kroger Michigan division, said during a Friday night phone interview that the Michigan division is not the first to eliminate double couponing.

“We certainly are concerned with consumer perception and we really firmly believe we are doing the best thing for all consumers,” he said. “A couple decades ago when bonus or double couponing started, there had been instances of triple couponing throughout history. Those things have fallen to wayside.”

He said a number of competitor retailers dropped double coupon programs last year, but Kroger held on to see what sort of impact it would have on its consumers. In 2013, Meijer announced the end of its doubling manufacturer coupon program.

Now, Kroger said it plans to reduce prices on thousands of items within its grocery, health, beauty and other departments.

“There will be changes literally storewide across all departments,” McClure said. The company believes the change will allow more customers to save.

About 126 stores will be impacted by the changes in Michigan. The grocer has already started to make similar changes within its other markets in a variety of states.

by on May. 3, 2014 at 3:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
heldcaptiveby2
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2014 at 4:19 PM
1 mom liked this
I would be finding a new place to shop.
rmp
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Kroger stopped double coupons in most states a long time ago. I am surprised in your state it was still happening. You were lucky. That is the consequences of Extreme Couponing which should be named Extreme Hoarding!! LOL 

Its sad because the economy is not good and people losing their jobs and then stores stopping this. A lot of people depend on this to feed their families. I wish people would have never taken advantage of coupons. I have used coupons for over 20 years and I do not remember having tons of merchandise stocked up. Maybe 2 or 3 of each extra. People on that show have the stuff all over their house.  

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 3, 2014 at 5:24 PM

We don't live near a Kroger.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on May. 3, 2014 at 7:54 PM

i have not been to the kroger in the next town over for a long time

caseyloo
by Casey on May. 3, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Our Smith's (Kroger's on the west coast) doesn't double and hasn't for years.

thefiregoddess
by Optimus Prime on May. 3, 2014 at 8:10 PM
1 mom liked this
They stopped here in September.

Their prices didn't go down, they went up too. Kroger lost my business
RonaH
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2014 at 8:13 PM
No stores double in Fl that I know about and I do fairly well couponing.
Stacie03
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2014 at 8:55 AM

I don't live near one.

woolftwo
by Member on May. 4, 2014 at 1:19 PM

That really sucks! I shop at Martin's here, which is part of the Giant chain. Thankfully, they still do double the coupons up to 50¢.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)