Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Giving clothing a new life

Posted by on May. 21, 2014 at 9:04 PM
  • 18 Replies

I've been donating all the stuff Dd2 outgrows to the thrift store, but she has a bunch of stuff from fall that still fits, it's just to warm. So rather then have to buy a bunch more clothes I got the idea to start hemming! Tonight was my trial run, I made her 2 pair of pants into shorts and 2 long sleeve shirts into t-shirts. Very pleased with how they turned out, and going to do more of them for her. Saving a couple pair of jeans for cooler days, but I shouldn't have to buy much else for summer when I'm done. She's 2 so she's not real picky. :)

by on May. 21, 2014 at 9:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Senile-felines
by Member on May. 21, 2014 at 9:11 PM
Great! I've done that in the past as well!! Even to my clothes also..
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 21, 2014 at 10:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Nice job!

thefiregoddess
by Optimus Prime on May. 21, 2014 at 10:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Nice job!
chicken13
by Silver Member on May. 22, 2014 at 6:28 AM

I've done that too.  For dd and myself.  

Hemming is so easy....

jwhit8791
by Member on May. 22, 2014 at 7:01 AM

You did a great job!

Question: How do you learn to sew if you don't have someone to teach you and don't learn well from a book?  I would like to learn but am petrified.....LOL

Gorilla_Mama
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2014 at 7:11 AM

Youtube!! And google. Google probably isn't as effective if you don't do well with learning by reading, but that's how I've been teaching myself to sew, lots of trial and error and googling.

Don't be scared! Get some cheap practice fabric, and go at it. Then if you make mistakes at first it's no biggie because you didn't screw up anything important.

Quoting jwhit8791:

You did a great job!

Question: How do you learn to sew if you don't have someone to teach you and don't learn well from a book?  I would like to learn but am petrified.....LOL

RonaH
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2014 at 8:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Looks cute to me. Smart thinking!

jwhit8791
by Member on May. 22, 2014 at 9:14 AM

Thanks I will definitely check it out.  My boys have a ton of pants with holes torn into them in the knees and I was thinking I could find a way to make them some shorts for this summer, even if they were for sleeping in.  LOL  I am obviously not confident in my skills yet.  ;)

Quoting Gorilla_Mama:

Youtube!! And google. Google probably isn't as effective if you don't do well with learning by reading, but that's how I've been teaching myself to sew, lots of trial and error and googling.

Don't be scared! Get some cheap practice fabric, and go at it. Then if you make mistakes at first it's no biggie because you didn't screw up anything important.

Quoting jwhit8791:

You did a great job!

rmgriffberg
by Member on May. 22, 2014 at 11:59 AM

i love doing this! my ods is in dire need of summer clothes. he has a pair of overalls that fit him now and i dont think they will in the winter, so they will be hemmed into shorts!

Memere60
by Member on May. 23, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Very clever and cute. Your daughter is ADORABLE ! toddler girl

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)