Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

New with a question

Posted by on May. 22, 2014 at 11:25 AM
  • 9 Replies

Hi my name is Renee and i am new to the group. i have 3 kids (5, almost 3 and 1) My 5 yr old is potty trained, the almost 3 yr old is kinda potty trained and the baby is still in diapers. im trying to downsize clothes and bedding. how many sets of sheets per kid would you ladies suggest. also how much colthing per child would you suggest?

by on May. 22, 2014 at 11:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
lizfnf
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2014 at 11:30 AM

For the 3 and 5 year old I say two sets of sheets, that what I have used for my daughter since she was about 3 and moved out of her toddler bed into a twin size.  I have two for us as well.  That way there's always a back up and when you change the bedding you don't have to wash it right away.  For the baby I say 4 crib sheets.  They're cheap enough that you can have multiples, especially since cribs seems to inspire diaper blow outs and stomach upset.  Or maybe that it my terrible luck.  I'm no help with clothing since my daughter has a ridiculous amount. 

rmgriffberg
by Member on May. 22, 2014 at 11:46 AM

i was thinking 2 for the older two sets of sheets as well. luckily with the cloth diapers blowouts have yet to happen and even leaks are a minimal.
i understand about the crazy amounts of clothes. my youngest just grew out of his 18mo clothes and we had 4 boxes full of 24mo clothes. i only grabbed 1/2 of the summer clothes and there is still way too much!

Quoting lizfnf:

For the 3 and 5 year old I say two sets of sheets, that what I have used for my daughter since she was about 3 and moved out of her toddler bed into a twin size.  I have two for us as well.  That way there's always a back up and when you change the bedding you don't have to wash it right away.  For the baby I say 4 crib sheets.  They're cheap enough that you can have multiples, especially since cribs seems to inspire diaper blow outs and stomach upset.  Or maybe that it my terrible luck.  I'm no help with clothing since my daughter has a ridiculous amount. 

chrisnjoesmom
by Adrienne on May. 22, 2014 at 11:53 AM
Unless you have tons of bedding and no space I wouldn't downsize that. Cause u never know if you may need it, especially sheets, pillowcases and blankets. For clothing all the nice stuff save for hand me downs if your kids are the same sex but get rid of anything worn out or that the youngest grows out of. Unless you are going to have more kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rmgriffberg
by Member on May. 22, 2014 at 11:57 AM

i have enough boy clothes to have triplets and not worry about clothes lol.

Quoting chrisnjoesmom: Unless you have tons of bedding and no space I wouldn't downsize that. Cause u never know if you may need it, especially sheets, pillowcases and blankets. For clothing all the nice stuff save for hand me downs if your kids are the same sex but get rid of anything worn out or that the youngest grows out of. Unless you are going to have more kids.

907PickleMom
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2014 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with 2 sets of sheets per bed and about 6 days worth of mix and match clothes per child with 2-3 "nice" outfits for photos, church etc.
rmgriffberg
by Member on May. 22, 2014 at 12:08 PM

this would make laundry a lot easier lol. thank you

Quoting 907PickleMom: I agree with 2 sets of sheets per bed and about 6 days worth of mix and match clothes per child with 2-3 "nice" outfits for photos, church etc.

907PickleMom
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2014 at 12:12 PM
You're welcome :). Kids really don't need a lot of clothes as they ruin them or grow out of them quickly.

Quoting rmgriffberg:

Quoting 907PickleMom: I agree with 2 sets of sheets per bed and about 6 days worth of mix and match clothes per child with 2-3 "nice" outfits for photos, church etc.

rmgriffberg
by Member on May. 22, 2014 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this

good point. i think ill keep my favorites (and some extra in a box in the basement) and sell the rest :)

Quoting 907PickleMom: You're welcome :). Kids really don't need a lot of clothes as they ruin them or grow out of them quickly.
Quoting rmgriffberg:

TLC4theworld
by Member on May. 24, 2014 at 11:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

I don't know about down sizing bedding. But maybe a new way to store it?

I have 4 kids so I cringe at the thought of getting rid of bedding.

If the photo shows up this is the way I store my bedding. Doing it this way also makes it easy for me to tell what size bedding it is. The toddler sets are very thin. Twins are half of our king set.

Before down sizing on clothes make sure you purge all items that don't fit.

I'm glad all my kids are old enough that we have what I call a try-on-athon. Mine are all school age so I keep school regs in mine when I do this. I do a lot of purging. I have to in order to keep up with my 4 kids.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)