Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cheap but yummy camping food?

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 1:36 PM
  • 41 Replies

I'm going camping in a few weeks with my hubby, myself, and the four kids. We can't eat hotdogs every single night so I'm wondering what you guys cook when you camp? We'll have both a fire and a propane stove.

We don't have room to carry a ton of stuff in the truck, so ingredients that can span a few recipes is always a plus.

Thanks!

by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 1:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mybratsmom
by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 1:53 PM
Do you plan on fishing? We eat a lot of fish and roasted veggies and fresh fruit when camping. Chicken, my husband always preps steaks the first day and we eat them the last day as a celebration.
Eggs are always good. Tamales. Hand pies.
We don't really change how we eat because we're camping, just how we cook it. Having a Dutch oven is very beneficial.
emkirkley
by Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 1:57 PM
I agree, we do fresh or frozen fish that thaw in the cooler, veggies, fruit, hand pies, bacon and eggs, sandwiches, sausages and peppers, hamburgers abd hamburger steak, baked beans with ground meat, pancakes, etc
emkirkley
by Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 1:59 PM
Baked potato and baked onions in your vodka are good (wrap tightly in heavy duty foil), fish can be grilled or fine in foil packets over the fire (we have a little foldtout fire pit grill
little.worthen
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:00 PM
Tin foil dinners!!
lyrick24
by Melissa on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:02 PM

we have a propane stove and we cook keilbasa and potatoes with green peppers and onions. bacon and egg sandwiches. soup and sandwiches, beanie weiners with crackers or cheese sandwiches.

mem82
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this

We will fish but we won't be eating fish. yuck lol

I'm hoping to find a dutch over cheap.

Quoting mybratsmom: Do you plan on fishing? We eat a lot of fish and roasted veggies and fresh fruit when camping. Chicken, my husband always preps steaks the first day and we eat them the last day as a celebration. Eggs are always good. Tamales. Hand pies. We don't really change how we eat because we're camping, just how we cook it. Having a Dutch oven is very beneficial.

mem82
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:13 PM

mmm baked beans

Quoting emkirkley: I agree, we do fresh or frozen fish that thaw in the cooler, veggies, fruit, hand pies, bacon and eggs, sandwiches, sausages and peppers, hamburgers abd hamburger steak, baked beans with ground meat, pancakes, etc

mem82
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:14 PM

These are fun. It's hit or miss on whether I burn everything in them or not. LOL

Quoting little.worthen: Tin foil dinners!!

mem82
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:16 PM

I like the sound of the polish sausage,

Quoting lyrick24:

we have a propane stove and we cook keilbasa and potatoes with green peppers and onions. bacon and egg sandwiches. soup and sandwiches, beanie weiners with crackers or cheese sandwiches.

othermom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Maybe peanut butter sandwhiches, fresh fruit, chips, hot dogs and buns, sausages and eggs for breakfast, cereal or oatmeal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)