Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Mix It Up

By agirlandaboy on Aug. 6, 2014 at 6:00 PM

My husband is the cook in the family, which means two things: (1) the food is always delicious and (2) I get to direct my efforts toward making special summer meals a bit more special with a bit of fancy styling. I've seen enough lifestyle blogs and t.v. shows to have memorized the ingredients to setting a perfect outdoor table, but unfortunately I don't always have the budget to make it all happen. And anyway, do I really want to take all our nice silverware out to the backyard/the hiking trail/the woods? Here's one fun and easy solution to making your own set of outdoors-only summer silverware.

Whenever we pack up for a picnic or camping meal, I end up forgetting a(t least one) vital element. Sometimes it's cups, sometimes it's napkins (thank goodness for pants), and way too many times it's silverware. (Good luck eating those baked beans with your fingers, kids.) The solution? Create a dedicated set of silverware with pieces you can actually afford to lose.

The secret is sprucing up some mismatched forks, spoons, and knives so they look like they all go together. Estate sales and thrift stores (yes, thrifting again!) are great places to find interesting and sometimes one-of-a-kind pieces for your unique set. The more variety in your selections, the more character your summer table will have.

But now how do you make those mismatched pieces look like a set? A little something called Plastidip. Dunk your utensils' handles in this rubberized coating and let them dry. The internet tells me this stuff is nontoxic and dishwasher safe, and you can even mix up your own custom color (or colors, if, say, you want to make a rainbow set or let each member of your family pick his or her own shade). 

These are perfect for picnic baskets or mess kits for camping, since it doesn't matter if you lose one in the woods or on the trail--just take a trip to the thrift store for a replacement. They're also great for any kind of potluck event, since you'll never lose track of which utensils belong to you (because they'll be the coolest ones on the table).

Pretty neat, huh? 

Have you ever made your own utensils? If not, are you at least a little inspired to try?

Image © iStock.com/9george

agirlandaboy About :
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
  • Vertical15
  • by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 10:59 AM
  •  From couponing I have a stash of plastic wear that we use but I am also one of those keep everything moms and when we go to places like for FroYo, I've kept the spoons to reuse and camping is perfect for those.

• Quote Reply
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)