• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cutting Cell Phone Costs

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 8:49 PM
  • 7 Replies

We are leaving Verizon and going with a prepaid option. The only issue I'm having is figuring out if the phone I'm moving to is a good idea. The phone is a smartphone but the Android system is older. I already checked and it runs all the apps I use with no problem. Basically, I wouldn't be able to run higher end games and things like that. If I did have an app that I "needed" or wanted to use I could always put it on my kindle (a gift from my mother in law last year). So, I guess what I'm really asking is what are the other disadvantages (if any) of going with a lower operating system on the phone?

By the way, we are saving around $60 a month by switching over to the prepaid option. 

by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 8:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
RonaH
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:50 PM
The only problem that eventually will come up is some apps will stop working with the older system but its not a major issue unless you are going way back. What company?
anotherandree
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:56 PM

This is right.  Usually companies wil go through 1 phone before they stop updating.  For example, LG comes out with X phone.  Then next year they sill come out with Q, but still update X with new software and such.  However, when they come out with Z, if you still own an X, your software will be out of date and most apps update for the newest operating system.

If you know anyone that is with Sprint, see if you can get on their "Framily" plan.  My husband's co worker put it on FB that they were doing the Framily plan and asked for people to join (not necessarily be new to Sprint, just this new plan).  We jumped on and because there were over 7 phones on that plan (all different billing address and such), we just pay $25 per line.

Quoting RonaH: The only problem that eventually will come up is some apps will stop working with the older system but its not a major issue unless you are going way back. What company?

melliburger
by on Jun. 30, 2014 at 12:15 AM

Stuff that's really outdated could cause problems and you're right about the apps not working after a while or not being able to get new ones. Personally, I'd go with something that's a little more current if possible. Especially if you're going ot use that phone for 2 or more years.

ScrChk23
by Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 8:57 PM
?? Sounds the others have a handle on the topic.
humanisticmom
by on Jul. 1, 2014 at 8:59 PM

It's going to be with net10. I did a little more research and found a phone that they offer that has a lower Android system but the good news is that the phone has an update that will update it to Android 4.0. So I think that is the one I'll go with and if it works out then my husband is getting the same one. It's a name brand phone (HTC) and every review I saw on the update and how the phone handled the update was positive. Keeping my fingers crossed that this is a good move.

momofsixangels
by on Jul. 1, 2014 at 10:02 PM

I dont own a cell phone

humanisticmom
by on Jul. 1, 2014 at 10:33 PM

We practically have to own one. But, the fact we can cut the costs is really good. And we found out the prepaid service uses the same network as the most reliable and higher priced network in the area.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)