Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Emergency fund?

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 6:57 AM
  • 32 Replies

Do you have one?

by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 6:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chicken13
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 6:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Feels like ours has a revolving door on it.  Everytime we get some squirreled away, something unexpected pops up and sucks it dry.  Sigh.  I guess that's what it's for.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes!

SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on Jul. 7, 2014 at 8:10 AM

Sadly, no. When his mom died last year, we lost 2/3 of our monthly income [her disability and my income from being her caregiver] and our savings/emergency fund went bye-bye b/c we had to use it to cover the mortgage. 

Mommabear81312
by Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 8:29 AM

Slowly but surely. We are really behind on it with all th life changes we had. Always seems like something comes up and we have to dip into it. Its a sfruggle but im not giving up! Plus we can only put away like $100 a month 

chicken13
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 8:52 AM

That's better than me....we do $20 a week.  With an occasional large chunk if dh gets a good check....which we haven't gotten in awhile. 

Quoting Mommabear81312:

Slowly but surely. We are really behind on it with all th life changes we had. Always seems like something comes up and we have to dip into it. Its a sfruggle but im not giving up! Plus we can only put away like $100 a month 

RonaH
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 9:07 AM

Yes, every year at tax time I set aside a chunk in a separate savings that I don't even have a card to. I live pretty close to the line so its hard to put big chunks in savings so I will transfer a little here and a little there nothing major.My goal for next year is to start transferring every time I make extra money online instead of just incorporating it into my budget.

virginiamama71
by Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Yes but not too much now. I had to use some of it over the last 2 months.

clairewait
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Yes.

I'm not sure we call it an "emergency fund" but we always keep enough in our savings to have a pretty good buffer should something go terribly wrong with our current income.

chicken13
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 10:29 AM

We have a savings too.

but we keep cash in the safe for emergencies...sometimes credit cards just don't cut it.  We have a $700 "expense" this afternoon that is cash only.  Arrgghhhh!! 

Quoting clairewait:

Yes.

I'm not sure we call it an "emergency fund" but we always keep enough in our savings to have a pretty good buffer should something go terribly wrong with our current income.

kmqw229
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 10:38 AM
Not enough
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)