Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Someone frauded my debit card yesterday

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2014 at 7:11 PM
  • 32 Replies
1 mom liked this

Yesterday we were out and about. Dh had a doctor appointment for his MS.  Then we went to the $5 hair cut place. So he could get a hair cut.  Then we went up the block and had Mexican for lunch.  Dh don't walk so good. I put his scooter together to walk into the hair cut place and to the restaurant and back to the car.  Well I had my debit card and ID at the restaurant.  When I got home I did not.  I think when I put dh's scooter back in the car.  Some how the wallet purse I had slung over my shoulder unsnapped.  Stuff fell out.  I didn't realize till later in the evening. So I call up t he 24 hour number to shut the card off.  Someone already had used it and put our checking account in the red.  Well technically I am out $165.   That's after I paid with that card for lunch.  I go to the credit union today. Filled out paper work. They wanted  me to go to each business my card got used at. Ask for money back first.   That was a joke.  So I ask locations of stores.  Get the one for a gas station near us and a Walmart Super Center.  I figured instead of calling them.  We will passing them up on the way home.  I go in ask for a manager.  One comes out.  I explain things.  He says not his problem.  People swipe cards all the time. We get our money. So no one checks ID's to verify signature is good there. Go to Walmart.  As the girl on the phone says come on in with the credit union statement showing what was charged.  I do.  To find out they won't give me nothing back.  File a police report.  I said Ok get a officer here now.  She say you can call them.  No. You call one here now.  Or I make a big scene in the store.  So she said well one was already there. Arresting someone.  Probably a shoplifter.  I am told I'd have to wait a while. I said I got all day .  Finally a cop takes down the information for the report.   Tells me I won't get my money back from the stores.  That my credit union would  have to do a frauds thing to get it back.  I said I was already there filling out paper work.  I even put a fraud warning on all 3 credit reporting bureaus.  I will get a new debit card in a week.  Now I hope I get the missing money back.  Now it says my checking is negative $20.  

by on Jul. 11, 2014 at 7:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BeachLifeMama
by Beachy on Jul. 11, 2014 at 8:36 PM
Wow, how frustrating.
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 11, 2014 at 8:40 PM

My son went through this last year....crooked police dept was gonna put him in prison for reporting it stolen and they said it wasn't (it was never recovered and he never got his money back.)  I will never have a debit card again for this reason.

nebcutie
by Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 8:42 PM
1 mom liked this
What a pain! I would be changing banks! Most have fraud protection. It is odd that they are not doing anything.
diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Jul. 11, 2014 at 8:42 PM
Hugs
My debit is also a credit which I think makes me safe to get my money if this happens to me.
PinkButterfly66
by on Jul. 11, 2014 at 8:45 PM
3 moms liked this

Is your credit union FDIC insured?  If so, you'll get your money back and I would be chewing out who ever at the bank who told you to try and get the money back.  And I'd close out my accounts with them and find another bank.

mybratsmom
by Silver Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 9:03 PM
That is some backwoods BS right there. File a police report that the card was stolen. Take a copy to the bank and get them to sign a receipt for it even if you have to do it on the back of a napkin. Take it to corporate if you have to. Then make sure you file a report with every credit reporter.

If the bank is insured, you should get your money back. Some banks do it right away, some have to investigate first. If it's not, close that account and move on.

I don't know what idiot you spoke to giving you advice to go get the money back, but I'd be stomping back in the bank asking for management to get a report filed immediately.

And then change banks. Life is too short to deal with stupid people.
melliburger
by Melli on Jul. 12, 2014 at 12:22 AM

That's so frustrating! ugh :(

aj23
by Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 12:45 AM
2 moms liked this
That's a shoddy credit union. I've had my card stolen and used and I called and reported it and everything was put back in my account while they investigated and a couple of weeks later I got a notice saying the case was closed and the temporary refund they issued was now permanent. No dealing with the stores, police or anything. All I had to do was report it and sign a paper.
Every debit or credit card I've ever had came with some sort of fraud protection.
nana776
by Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 1:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Agghhh, I feel your frustration!! Everyone wants to tell you that you have to do this, and then someone else says, no, you have to do that and you end up on a wild goose chase doing other people's jobs for them. 

I had someone get ahold of my card number and charged up a couple of hundred dollars and also ran up another hundred in overdraft fees. No one wanted to help me or do their jobs. I ended up closing my account once I got everything straightened out. I'll deal with cash from now on. 

RonaH
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 6:09 AM

What bank is this? No store is going to give you you're money back. Don't they have fraud protection on the card. I would deal with someone else. Thats crazy my CU cancelled my card and had my money refunded in less than an hr then they investigated. I guess ill stick with them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN