Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

A Board Game Is Not Always Just A Board Game

By misszoot on Jul. 17, 2014 at 12:00 AM

My kids love board games. They have several Go-To games that will entertain them for small chunks of time. They go through phases of which ones they like the best. Sometimes it's Headbandz™, other times it's Checkers but this week it has been Battleship®. They've gotten it out and it's been entertaining them for large bits of time. And since it seems like a hard game for my 6yo to grasp, I assumed my daughter was just taking it easy on him.

I started listening to them play because I like hearing when my daughter is being a kind big sister, as she sometimes errs more on the side of the "bully" variety of sibling. I started hearing her say things about flowers or stars and I realized I didn't hear any familiar phrases like, "You sunk my battleship!" or even the periodic "Hit!" or "Miss!"

Hearing no normal Battleship® discussion, it sounded like they were doing art, not playing a game. I kept looking down they hall to make sure they had the game out, and they did, but still...no familiar battle talk.

I finally took a break to investigate the situation. 

It turns out, they weren't actually playing the game at all. They were simply drawing things out with the little pegs. I was torn between laughing at how they had turned a war game into a doodle-project, and being just mightily impressed at how they used this game to entertain themselves for hours without actually playing it.

It's like how they use Monopoly® to play store sometimes...making me realize that board games can easily be multi-functional. When you're looking at the price of a board game, you need to always consider the other uses of that game. Of course, to consider these other uses, you probably need to be under the age of 10. Because there is no way I would have ever dreamed of drawing stars with Battleship® pegs. Not in a million years.

Have your kids ever used a game in ways besides the way it was intended? I need some ideas for Christmas presents.

misszoot About :
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
  • LaniBee
  • by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 9:25 AM
  • My girls were never really into board games (after they outgrew Candyland and Chutes & Ladders).  If we are going to be in the car for any length of time, we will grab the question box out of the Trivial Pursuit box and bring it along for fun. 

• Quote Reply
  • elasmimi
  • by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 10:46 AM
  • She has never liked board games. Her therapist has advised us to get some. I'm going to start with Scrabble Jr. since she sees me playing words with friends.

• Quote Reply
  • Madelaine
  • by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:41 PM
  • My kids have all done that!  They mix different pieces from different games and make up their own games with them.

• Quote Reply
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)