Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Money is a little tight but I have got to do something......

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 7:29 AM
  • 22 Replies

with my hair. Thanks to my bio dad genes I have greys everywhere on my head, its so dried out and frizzed. I really need to color it and get it trimmed. That being said, how can I do this cheaply? I know I can probably go and use the box stuff but having family do it is a joke and my husband cant breathe this stuff.So this leaves me with the salon... ugh they are so expensive!

How do you go about getting yours done cheap? and still have it look good.

by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 7:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chillemi78
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 8:00 AM
I do my color at home. Do the same shade as your natural color so it won't be obvious if you miss some spots. Just tell the family to deal for a while, lock yourself in the bathroom (with the fan on) and take off your shirt and wear an old bra. Then take your time. Get two boxes if you have really long and/or thick hair. And rinse really well.
For cuts, I go to the salon inside Walmart and just get a shampoo and trim, no drying.
JRSMOM0621
by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 8:02 AM

Thank you :) lol this will be interesting doing it myself. I forgot you could do that. I just hop in the shower to rinse?

Quoting chillemi78: I do my color at home. Do the same shade as your natural color so it won't be obvious if you miss some spots. Just tell the family to deal for a while, lock yourself in the bathroom (with the fan on) and take off your shirt and wear an old bra. Then take your time. Get two boxes if you have really long and/or thick hair. And rinse really well. For cuts, I go to the salon inside Walmart and just get a shampoo and trim, no drying.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 18, 2014 at 8:12 AM

Quoting chillemi78: I do my color at home. Do the same shade as your natural color so it won't be obvious if you miss some spots. Just tell the family to deal for a while, lock yourself in the bathroom (with the fan on) and take off your shirt and wear an old bra. Then take your time. Get two boxes if you have really long and/or thick hair. And rinse really well. For cuts, I go to the salon inside Walmart and just get a shampoo and trim, no drying.

This is what I do.

There are a few brands that don't have the ammonia smell...use more natural ingredients.  L'Oreal has a line that's ammonia-free, as does Garnier.  I prefer the Garnier...lasts longer, hair is softer.

chillemi78
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 8:13 AM
Yep. I have super long and thick hair, so I hop in add just a little water and mix it all, like I am shampooing my hair. Then let it sit for another few minutes while I shave. It won't cover the same, but does help spots I may have missed blend in a little better. Then I rinse and rinse and rinse some more, until the water runs clear.

Quoting JRSMOM0621:

Thank you :) lol this will be interesting doing it myself. I forgot you could do that. I just hop in the shower to rinse?

Quoting chillemi78: I do my color at home. Do the same shade as your natural color so it won't be obvious if you miss some spots. Just tell the family to deal for a while, lock yourself in the bathroom (with the fan on) and take off your shirt and wear an old bra. Then take your time. Get two boxes if you have really long and/or thick hair. And rinse really well.
For cuts, I go to the salon inside Walmart and just get a shampoo and trim, no drying.

JRSMOM0621
by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 8:13 AM

I dont remember if I have used Garnier. I forgot they have the ammonia free ones now. Thanks for reminding :)

Quoting michiganmom116:

This is what I do.

There are a few brands that don't have the ammonia smell...use more natural ingredients.  L'Oreal has a line that's ammonia-free, as does Garnier.  I prefer the Garnier...lasts longer, hair is softer.

JRSMOM0621
by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 8:14 AM

Thanks for the tips :) I have long hair as well. Hopefully I dont color my walls while I do this haha

Quoting chillemi78: Yep. I have super long and thick hair, so I hop in add just a little water and mix it all, like I am shampooing my hair. Then let it sit for another few minutes while I shave. It won't cover the same, but does help spots I may have missed blend in a little better. Then I rinse and rinse and rinse some more, until the water runs clear.
Quoting JRSMOM0621:

dannix7x
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 8:17 AM
2 moms liked this
Just go to a cosmetology school! The rates are usually half of a salon and they are under the supervision of a professional.
EthansMomma2010
by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 1:34 PM
2 moms liked this

i do my own color and my sister's too. :) we seriously had a train going in our kitchen saturday night lol. someone just posted about esalon.com making a custom color for you from quality products for $20. i'm going to try it sometime. i buy my stuff from Sally's so the outset was more expensive, but it's better quality and everything but the actual color lasts me several colors.

for a trim i keep it really simple so that i can feel confident with anyone doing it.

the trick to coloring your own hair is to start at your part and color the part, then make another part slightly to the right and so forth til you reach your ears, then flip it over and go the other direction. then color around the frame of your face. then flip it all over and start in at the base of you neck and work your way up. if you pick a color close to your natural color it's easier. the middle of your head is the most forgiving. my one sister has crazy long hair so i had to foil her hair to get it all colored, but for my other sister and myself we can get away with just massaging the color into our hair after doing the roots. :)

veraxaudeo
by Ashley Nicole on Jul. 18, 2014 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I really only need to buy one box to cover my hair sufficiently, but because I'm doing it myself, I buy two boxes to make sure it's completely covered. I buy one box one week and the second box another week (two weeks apart). It still costs the same, but it's not all at once. I try to buy it on sale or with coupons, but I never see any coupons for the brand I prefer.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Maternity tickers

.Angelica.
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 2:00 PM

maybe ask some friends to help?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN