Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

ugh! car shopping :-(

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2014 at 12:59 PM
  • 14 Replies
We have to go get dh a new car. His SAAB has pretty much given out. Its newest problem will cost about 5K to fix. So we are looking for a used car today for him.

Any tips to help us get a great car for a great price?

We did go to the bank and got an auto loan through them instead of a car place. We were approved for 12K (not spending that much or anything close to it) with an interest rate of 3.7%
by on Jul. 19, 2014 at 12:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 19, 2014 at 3:34 PM
1 mom liked this

GET A CARFAX REPORT!  If the dealer won't provide one, be leery.  It's worth the extra fee, though to buy a report through carfax.com

clairewait
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Several members of my family have had weird good luck with Craigslist and Ebay for used cars, actually. My father, my brother, and my husband have all bought more than one car off Ebay and not had any problems.

We've also sold all of our old cars on Craigslist. Just check the Kelly Blue Book and see how low they will go from there. Bring a car person with you to look under the hood and definitely take a test drive (it isn't weird - everyone we sold to did that).

Many times, used cars listed on CL are actually at a dealership.

OBImomma
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 3:48 PM
We've done the Craigslist thing twice. Hasn't worked out for us. Now I have to have a car BC of the kids being in school so dh has to have a reliable car. Before he could just use mine until he fixed his.

Quoting clairewait:

Several members of my family have had weird good luck with Craigslist and Ebay for used cars, actually. My father, my brother, and my husband have all bought more than one car off Ebay and not had any problems.

We've also sold all of our old cars on Craigslist. Just check the Kelly Blue Book and see how low they will go from there. Bring a car person with you to look under the hood and definitely take a test drive (it isn't weird - everyone we sold to did that).

Many times, used cars listed on CL are actually at a dealership.

OBImomma
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 3:48 PM
They gave us one :-)

Quoting michiganmom116:

GET A CARFAX REPORT!  If the dealer won't provide one, be leery.  It's worth the extra fee, though to buy a report through carfax.com

melliburger
by Melli on Jul. 20, 2014 at 12:57 AM

I don't have much. We went to a dealership where my MIL works and they give us employee pricing because of her and we got some other discount thanks to her :)

OBImomma
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 1:51 AM
We could have gotten an employee discount BC my dh works at the bank we were going to use. But the dealership got us a better interest rate so we went with that instead. Now our interest rate is 3.2% instead of 3.8%.

Quoting melliburger:

I don't have much. We went to a dealership where my MIL works and they give us employee pricing because of her and we got some other discount thanks to her :)

OBImomma
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 1:54 AM
Dh got a 2008 Chevy cobalt. Its really nice. It was priced right too! It was $5,500 and with us trading in the Saab the price ended up right under $5K. Car payments will be around $100 which we can afford. So looks like everything worked out :-)
.Angelica.
by Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 2:00 AM

my dh does the car buying. I know nothing about it. lol. good luck

lulalacroix
by Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 2:31 AM

Getting financing prior to shopping is definitely a plus.

Do a ton of research first.  Narrow down the cars you want and know the price you are willing to pay.

Be willing to ask for the price that you want.  And walk away if you don't get the price you want.  You have all the power at the car dealership.

EthansMomma2010
by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 11:13 AM

if you trust your mechanic, always have him look it over before purchasing. or ask him for references to reputable dealers. we took one van to our mechanic and he told us what to ask the price to be lowered to and to walk if they didn't. well they didn't. so our mechanic sent us to a dealer who used to work for him and we got a great van at a great price!! $60 to a mechanic (ours didn't charge but some do) is way better than getting a junky car. also when you call dealers tell them what you are looking for and give them a lower price than what you are willing to spend.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)