Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

how often do you fix a roast?

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 3:46 PM
  • 34 Replies

Poll

Question: how often do you fix a roast?

Options:

more than once a week

once a week

twice a month

once a month

never....

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 29

View Results

I love the ease of the crockpot...but flinch at the cost of buying roasts...(pork and beef seem high overall...atleast in our grocery budget).  How often do you fix a roast at your house?

by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 3:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 3:48 PM

Whenever it breaks.  ;)

nebcutie
by Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 3:49 PM
Can not really vote, we do them a lot in the colder months and not at all durning the summer. I have a di pit bbq crock pot that we love to use them in. I get them when they are in sale in the family pack of 3 for under $20.
clairewait
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 3:58 PM

More often in winter than summer, that's for sure. 

When I see pork butts go on sale for around $1 a pound, I buy the limit, have them cut by the butcher into the right size for my crock pot, and freeze them.

Beef roasts are a litle less often because of the price, but again, when they hit the right sale price, I'll buy as many as I can safely freeze. They are so easy and so good.

energygirl
by Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 3:59 PM

nice, where do you find them 3 for under $20?

Quoting nebcutie: Can not really vote, we do them a lot in the colder months and not at all durning the summer. I have a di pit bbq crock pot that we love to use them in. I get them when they are in sale in the family pack of 3 for under $20.

bjv0402
by Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Hardly ever. Would love to, but cant afford them. Here in Ohio, they are pretty expensive!

nebcutie
by Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 4:01 PM
Our local stores run 10 lb meat sales about once a month. Glad you posted cause i need to add them to my list.

Quoting energygirl:

nice, where do you find them 3 for under $20?

Quoting nebcutie: Can not really vote, we do them a lot in the colder months and not at all durning the summer. I have a di pit bbq crock pot that we love to use them in. I get them when they are in sale in the family pack of 3 for under $20.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 21, 2014 at 4:14 PM

averages out to at least once a week.  I always have leftovers that we'll use for lunches or incorporate into another dinner.

We raise 100+ chickens every year and buy a whole beef at $2.70 lb. (this year).  I usually get 18 to 20 whole chickens (the rest are cut up) and this year I counted over 30 beef roasts.  Every now and then I find a good sale (under $2/lb.) for pork roast or else order a whole hog for $1.55/ lb. avg.

OliviaW.
by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 4:20 PM

It depends. I fix roasts mostly in the winter.

melliburger
by Melli on Jul. 22, 2014 at 2:56 AM

Maybe once a month.

raczac
by Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 3:05 AM
Ive got one in the crock pot right now. Will fix veggie soup with the left overs. I think a it was $10.50 so for $5.25 a meal that will feed 4 of us twice and ill be able to freeze the soup also for later.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN