Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

The Bathroom Art Studio

By misszoot on Jul. 24, 2014 at 12:00 AM

Do all kids love messy art projects? I have three and they all love it, but I've always wondered if there's the elusive child out there who hates making messes. The messier the better in my house! And while I hate the clean up and the potential for disaster? Nothing entertains the kids more than getting to sit down with paint and paint brushes and go to town. We are talking about HOURS of entertainment which equals HOURS of work time for me. 

If you keep an eye at your local craft stores (or even the craft section of Wal-Mart) they often put their bottles of paint on sale and - even in my artist household - those paints seem to last forever. It's way more affordable to buy the individual bottles of water-based (always water based if you don't want to ruin things forever) paints when they go on sale, than the small kits of multi-color palettes. Those things cost several dollars and dry out faster simply because of how they're designed. We bought 10 bottles of paints the last time they were on sale for about $8 total and the kids have been using those same paints for over a year now. And the walls in my home are better for it.

(Because we frame their artwork. Not because we let them paint on the walls. We are not insane.)

(Not completely insane, anyway.)

But the trick is: Location, Location, Location.

I make the kids paint on the floor of the bathroom because, while water-based paint will come up relatively easily on a tile floor, it is going to take some massive amounts of elbow grease to get it out of carpet. Also? The sink is right there so there's no traveling across the house with cups of dirty water from brush-cleaning. They stand up, dump the dirty water, fill it back up, and bam! Back to work!

Find some cheap water-based paints. Turn the bathroom into an art studio. Frame their masterpieces and BAM! They've been entertained for an entire day AND you no have some amazingly personal gifts to give family at Christmas. Win/Win!

Do you have any methods for allowing your children to stay in touch with their inner-artist without breaking the bank or destroying your home?

misszoot About :
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
  • OBImomma
  • by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 12:18 AM
  • We do Los of art/craft projects at the kitchen table or outside. I don't save many but I do take pictures and turn all of their artwork into a photo book (the kind you make on shutterfly). Its so much easier to store that way and costs less then I would spend framing it all or scrapbooking it.
  • Quote Reply
  • Leelee1008
  • by Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 10:43 AM
  • we have tons of left over crayons from end of school year, and randmonly bought.. we have loose leaf paper, construction paper etc just hanging out..

• Quote Reply
  • Wish2Be
  • by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 10:45 AM
  • We like to do chalk outside ...and he has an easle inside. Sometimes I let him paint on the floor with a $1 plastic tablecloth underneath him :)

• Quote Reply
  • LaniBee
  • by Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 10:50 AM
  • We have a glass top table in the dining room with tile floors. That is the only place artsy messes are allowed to be made (including nail polish "art")! 

• Quote Reply
  • RobynS
  • by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 12:01 PM
  • I'll sometimes have them do their artwork outside on the picnic table, or use a cookie sheet to help contain small things like glitter and beads. Scratch that... glitter can NOT be contained. But other small things usually can! LOL

• Quote Reply
  • elasmimi
  • by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 2:31 PM
  • I really like the idea of taking pics, we are overflowing with art work already, and she's only going into second grade!

Quoting diaperstodating: I was a paper hoarder until my Artkive app. (I still save their artwork, but not every single piece ). We don't do art projects at home anymore. I save or take a picture of all the artwork they do at school.

• Quote Reply
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN