• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you donate?

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:50 AM
  • 43 Replies

Since schools are getting ready to start back up I was wondering how many people donate school supplies? My oldest is getting ready to start kindergarten this year and we received an email from the school. 11 pages of information and the last page showed the list of supplies for each class and at the very bottom said that donations on school supplies were welcome.

I have a bunch of extra school supplies (my mom's a teacher and thanks to her school closing she gave me all of her supplies from her room). I was going to give away some for Halloween but now I'm thinking about giving them directly for the school. What do you ladies think? 

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Euphoric
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Sounds like a good idea!

godsgirl26
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Sounds like a great idea. To answer your question no i do not donate to the schools. I buy extra for my kids and only my kids.

CDW75
by Candi on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:20 PM
I think that's a great idea. I know many teachers that spend money out of their own pocket for some of their students supplies. I do try and send a few extra supplies to DDs class every year.
LoriAnn87
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:32 PM

Great idea. We donated school supplies and classroom supplies.

amonkeymom
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:39 PM

I've always brought extras to donate for the kids in my children's classes who weren't able to bring their own.

OBImomma
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:04 PM
Sounds like a good idea!
My sisters school donates their extra supplies to my sons school. He goes to a Montessori in the inner city. It is considered a poor school even though it costs a small fortune to attend.

We do not donate to the kids school since they get donations from other schools.
OBImomma
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:05 PM
I should add that we do buy all the supplies on the supply list we get. All school supplies are communal so if someone can't afford the supplies no one would know.
lillucky8
by Jen on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:23 PM
My kids arent in school but im sure ill send extra when they do, i coupon alot for school supplies for my niece so i get alot of freebies :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OliviaW.
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this

That's how my mom's school was. The teachers had to purchase their own supplies. Which is also why after the doors were closed permanently my mom had a bunch of supplies that she gave to me. 

Quoting CDW75: I think that's a great idea. I know many teachers that spend money out of their own pocket for some of their students supplies. I do try and send a few extra supplies to DDs class every year.

momofsixangels
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Actually I have to get help getting my kids' supplies

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)