Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

My Organizational Breakdown (and How It Saved Me Money)

By HeatherNYC on Jul. 24, 2014 at 12:00 AM

So remember last week, when we chatted all about your thriftastic decorating tips and hints? Do you recall when I mentioned we were in dire need to redo Kiddo's room? Right, I've got you nodding. Okay, well, what I didn't mention was what had happened the two weeks before we even dipped the pain brush into the tin of yellow paint (technically, the hue is called Glimmer by Benjamin Morris). Our home looked like a Tasmanian devil had decided to move in...I was in, what you might call, an organizational nervous (yet productive) breakdown.

Here's the lowdown: it had been a school year that was hectic, busy, crazypants...you know, a usual year. Alas, I had let the organization on the home front slip a bit a lot. Piles of papers had their own piles, clutter seemed to start their own galaxy complete with orbiting moons of mess. Each part of the house - from kitchen to closets to bookshelves - was suffering from mal-organization-itis.

You may think having a messy drawer this isn't so bad, but when you really think about it, when you can't find that pair of leggings or that special flashlight for months...which then leads you to go out and buy a replacement. Your lack of organization just cost you money. Even sorting through that closet and realizing you have 23 pairs of black pants can help you save the next time you find yourself trying on another pair of the same type of pants at the mall.

So, back to moi...I spent about two weeks, on and off, getting organized. I purged, I stored, I re-ordered. I scoured home stores for deals on bins and boxes. I made lists. Why? The organized life makes everything better: your mind is clearer, your days run smoother, and yes, even your wallet benefits. Let's take a look at the most problem areas in my old abode.

Kitchen Pantry -- Cans, boxes of pasta, old seasonings shoved here and there meant I could never find what I needed and hid items I didn't even know I had (yes, I bought three jars of honey, folks). If you haven't gone through your pantry, take time to organize it. Put items you use every week or every day on one shelf, other items you don't use as much of on another. Bonus tip: take a picture of the organized pantry and keep it on your phone so when you are at the store, you can easily see what you have and don't.

The Hallway Closet -- Yes, the black hole into which tennis rackets, mittens and (sometimes) the cat disappear. This is a place where you need to have specific bins or boxes and a label maker (or a piece of paper, pen and tape). Sort through and arrange everything according to either the person in the family (all of your son's winter stuff and equipment go in one bin, etc.) or by item type (hats, scarves and mittens, etc.). Be sure everything has a place.

Your Clothes Closet -- I am a shover. I shove shoes in the bottom, I shove shirts in the piles on the shelf, I shove that silk blouse back on the hanger. Go through and see what fits, what doesn't, what you haven't worn in years, what needs cleaning or mending (or is beyond repair). Then, once you are organized, take time to look at your wardrobe: is anything missing that would make a certain skirt work, or do you need a pair of beige ballet flats to go with those three different outfits you like but never wear because you don't have the right shoes. Make a list of these missing pieces and keep it handy. This keeps you from spending money on clothes or shoes you don't need and focused on finding those items to work with clothes you already have. 

There are many more places that, once it's organized, will save you money and allow you to have an easier thriftastic life.

What about you: what areas do you need to organize in your home?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ bopav                

HeatherNYC About :
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
  • LaniBee
  • by Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 9:13 AM
  • Me, too!  lol

Quoting OBImomma: I'm an organization freak so my house is pretty organized. It drives me nuts if something does not have a home. I reorganize closets, cabinets and room a few times a year...just for fun

• Quote Reply
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN