Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

When They Find Joy In Something That Makes Your Life Better!

By misszoot on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:00 AM

I recently made the mistake of looking up a fun project for the kids to do online, I spent a little bit of money on supplies (not much), and sat them down, only to see them lose interest in about 10 minutes and move on to something else. Then, that same day, they saw the kids across the street washing their parent's car and the BEGGED for the opportunity to enjoy the same kind of excitement.

Yes. They begged me to let them wash the minivan. Sometimes the universe has a very twisted sense of humor. My kids have been home all summer, moaning about boredom as often as the moan about the heat, and NOW I learn they have a desire to be entertained washing my car? NOW?

The next day I pulled the van (which is disgusting and hasn't been washed in years) into the back of the driveway. I filled a bucket of soap and water for them, gave them access to the hose, and went inside and enjoyed an hour of peace and quiet while they washed my van.

Of course, I should probably say "washed my van" because there were huge chunks of it that I don't even think got wet, much less clean. But still! The parts that did see soap and water? Look great!

And they had fun doing it. They fought with the hose, the threw soapy sponges, they fought over who got to rinse off the tires. All in all? They told me it was one of the most fun things that they did this summer. And that either means I've done a terrible job at keeping them entertained, or they have a very twisted sense of what is "fun" and what isn't.

The irony is that I have bought them (very expensive) tickets to enjoy a new indoor trampoline place in town as their last HURRAH! before school starts. I realize now that I should have just rewarded them with a bucket of soapy water and two sponges and reminded them that our family has TWO cars that can be cleaned.

What domestic chore have you discovered that your kids actually enjoy? We do have another week left of our summer so I could still make use of their weird entertainment values.

misszoot About :
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
  • BegoniaViolet
  • by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:10 AM
  •  Good for you and good for them. I am glad that they had so much fun washing your car. My son likes to mow grass and my daughter likes to help me in the kitchen while I cook and she helps with dishes and cleaning the kitchen. I think it is good for them because it teaches them respect and responsibility, working together as a family unit. They build sibling ties and learn to get along. I think it is good you are rewarding them with the trampoline place. As far as finding out what other chores they may enjoy to make use of "weird entertainment values" that is a great idea. Hope you enjoy your last week of summer with the kids!!

• Quote Reply
  • michiganmom116
  • by Rhonda on Jul. 31, 2014 at 6:29 AM
  • My kids used to enjoy a few domestic chores like mopping the floor, washing the house, feeding the animals....they wised up over the years  LOL

• Quote Reply
  • LaniBee
  • by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 12:54 PM
  • Ha Ha!  Mine, too!

Quoting michiganmom116:

My kids used to enjoy a few domestic chores like mopping the floor, washing the house, feeding the animals....they wised up over the years  LOL

• Quote Reply
  • LaniBee
  • by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 12:58 PM
  • When my girls were younger, they used to fight over who got to "Windex" the table! What-eva!  lol

Quoting mrswillie: My grandson loves to wipe the table after meals. I have no idea why.

• Quote Reply
  • mrswillie
  • by Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 1:02 PM
  • I think.he likes it because he has always seen me do it after the kids eat. He also.loves to help cook.

Quoting LaniBee:

When my girls were younger, they used to fight over who got to "Windex" the table! What-eva!  lol

Quoting mrswillie: My grandson loves to wipe the table after meals. I have no idea why.

• Quote Reply
  • RobynS
  • by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 3:17 PM
  • DS has always enjoyed vacuuming. Yay! And sometimes they fight over who gets to brush the dog... when done consistently, that actually reduces the need for vacuuming! :)

• Quote Reply
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)