Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

(Hot) Dog Days of Summer

By agirlandaboy on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:05 AM

One of our favorite ways to entertain on a budget during the summer is with a good old-fashioned wiener roast. Start with a giant package of hot dogs, get a nice flame going in the fire pit, give everyone a telescoping roasting stick (we found ours at the dollar store), and then get creative with the toppings. I can't think of an easier way to make custom meals on a large scale.

That's the thing about hot dogs: you get major points for ease, cost-effectiveness, fun, and nostalgia, and you're also feeding a crowd in a way that ensures everyone gets exactly what he or she likes. If you're hosting a party, make sure you have a variety of dogs (plain, veggie, tofu, maybe some specialty sausages if you're feeling fancy) and also a choice of buns (white, wheat, sourdough, gluten free, etc.). Set your guests up with all the usual condiments (ketchup, mustard, relish) but then make things a bit more exciting with an array of fancy fixins.

One of our favorite combos is something we call the "California dog," which is an avocado, Swiss, and (for some) cilantro dog on a wheat bun. Supply your guests with anything and everything they need to get creative and maybe go a little crazy with their custom combos. Think beyond chili and cheese to things like salsa, sliced cucumber, olives, peaches, blackberry jam, sour cream, sriracha mayonnaise, lime juice, and even peanut butter (but probably not all together.) Say, is it wrong to put bacon on a hot dog? I hope not because it's delicious.

(If you want to get really fancy, try making these spiral-cut hot dogs. They're easier than they look and they're always a hit at parties.)

Whether you're gathering around the campfire or grill this summer, hot dogs are a fun, easy, and timeless way to entertain on a budget. 

What do you like on your custom hot dog?

Image © iStock.com/Kali Nine LLC

agirlandaboy About :
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
  • michiganmom116
  • by Rhonda on Jul. 30, 2014 at 6:45 AM
  • I'll be honest, I'm SICK of grilled hot dogs, roasted hot dogs, whatever.  I cringe when I see them.

When I do manage to choke one down, it's without a bun and with mustard and relish.

• Quote Reply
  • BegoniaViolet
  • by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:18 AM
  •    I like mustard and relish on mine. I am kind of plain when it comes to hot dogs but when we have chili I like a little chili on mine too.

• Quote Reply
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN