Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Cell phone newbie

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2014 at 7:33 PM
  • 33 Replies

So here's the deal.   We are probably the only family in the world who do not have smart phones.   We have been getting by with using trac phones.   I am seriously considering getting a smart phone, at least for my husband and I and maybe my daughter.   Any advice on which company and plans are better?

I know everybody has a different opinion but I actually have no idea what is a good deal or company to go with and want to sound somewhat intelligent when I go looking.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

by on Jul. 31, 2014 at 7:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rebock
by Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 8:53 PM

BUMP!

TheFairestOne
by on Jul. 31, 2014 at 8:54 PM

I don't have a smart phone either lol

lilmama8408
by Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 8:56 PM
Sprint is an a horrible company who screws you over at every chance possible. I know plenty who used it along with dh and myself and it was awful.

Tmobile is good and fair prices. We now have AT&T.

It really depends on the coverage area for where you live. Budget. Data use.
hillmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 11:07 PM
Verizon has the largest coverage, but they are the most expensive and lock you in for 2 years.

T-Mobile has unlimited data, but if the coverage Sucks in your area (like it does here) you don't get to use any data. That is why we left them. Hubby got a smart phone, so he could look stuff up at work and not have to drive home. With T-Mobile he still had to drive home and we were paying for a smart phone. We were also on a device payment plan, and will never do that again. Even though there was no contact, we couldn't afford to pay off the phones and leave (until we used our Jump, when it was available last week, and got the cheapest phones we could find).

We are now with AT&T. I bought our phones off Swappa.com It is a bigger cost upfront, but we have the coverage we need, no contact and no phone payments on our bill.
diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Aug. 1, 2014 at 12:16 AM

AT&T

bhwrn1
by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 5:37 AM

I have AT&T iPhone. I haven't had any issues at all. I've used Verizon, AT&T and Sprint. But only AT&T with my smart phone. 

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 1, 2014 at 6:37 AM

We bought our own smartphones (refurbished, work great) and signed up with Net10.  GREAT coverage, no contract, and they have pretty affordable plans IMO.  DH and I have unlimited talk/text for $35/month; DS has unlimited talk/text/3G data for $50/month.  We either pay online (DH has it set up for auto renewal) or we buy minutes in the store.

RonaH
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 9:33 AM

Really depends on your area ask around and see what people have who get great coverage. I have Sprint have for about 8 years It works perfectly for my area. i don't have any issues. I have a Samsung Galaxy which I LOVE! lol I got my daughter a Prepaid plan smart-phone also a galaxy model for $29 with Metro PCS  (owned by tmobile) because they were cheaper, she gets unlimited talk and text for $25 a month and that includes tax and she gets online using our wifi or whatever wifi we come across since its everywhere. Also my cable includes free wifi all over there coverage areas so it works great.  I'm considering when my contract is up switching to that.

EthansMomma2010
by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 12:04 PM

verizon has been pretty good for us. only my dh has a smarphone though. i cannot justify the cost and got rid of mine. i like having a tablet i can access the web in wifi hot spots without needing to pay data.

caseyloo
by Casey on Aug. 1, 2014 at 12:15 PM

I'd say it depends on your area too.  We have sprint and have for over 15 years and really like them.  I hear horror stories all the time from friends and coworkers who have AT&T and Verizon.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN