Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Tired of Paying for Cable!

Posted by on Aug. 9, 2014 at 2:00 AM
  • 59 Replies

Anyone know of a way to stop paying the cable man?

Me and DH are looking other ways to get our TV, without the bill. DH wants to be able to record (like with our DVR). Do any of you lady's have different ways of getting your tv fix WITHOUT the cable cord? DH has looked at buying the entire antenna and DVR set, I lookied at HULU and Netflix. Anyone else have any ideas???

by on Aug. 9, 2014 at 2:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anotherandree
by Inga on Aug. 9, 2014 at 2:05 AM
We have an antennae so we can get the local channels but no way to record. We also gave Hulu for new shows and Netflix for movies and older shows. We cut cable about 3 yrs ago and never looked back!
BradleysMom2014
by Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 2:10 AM

That is DH's main concern is news and weather. We really want to cut the cord (so to speak). I saw where you can use Hulu for news, but I don't know anyone with it. I did get addicted to netflix when my sister set it up on my computer when she stayed here one night.

He was looking at buying a DVR, so we could record what we got on the antenna, but are having a hard time finding one that is worth the money.

Quoting anotherandree: We have an antennae so we can get the local channels but no way to record. We also gave Hulu for new shows and Netflix for movies and older shows. We cut cable about 3 yrs ago and never looked back!

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 9, 2014 at 8:07 AM

We got a $30 antenna from Home Depot to get the local channels and football/hockey.  Other than that, we use Netflix through the Wii, and YouTube

Alliemad_003
by New Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 8:54 AM
We cut the cord in February. We have an antennae (and those have come a long way!) and we have Netflix and Hulu.

We thought we would miss DVR. Turns out...we don't really miss TV at all. We watch a lot less...and we're happier.
lillybug222
by Bronze Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 8:56 AM
I told Dish I was disconnecting. Now I pay $21 a month.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wandep
by Bronze Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 10:20 AM

We called and got them to lower ours and they added more channels for us. The price is only good for a year tho. 

We also have one of those little boxes connected to our tv where we can watch other programs but I never use it. I hate it. Dh does more with it like watching movies and his shows sometimes.

Stacie03
by Silver Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 11:39 AM

We have been cable-less for several years now.  It is an adjustment at first.  We use an antenna to get local channels (at last count we were getting 15-18 channels and those have 1-4 sub channels) we have plenty to choose from.  We will sometimes use the free portion of Hulu or youtube to get other shows.  

BradleysMom2014
by Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 12:57 PM

I'm thinking that is what we'll end up doing. I watch local tv shows mostly. He works swing shift so misses his shows alot, so he likes the DVR. I think he'd be happy with Hulu or amazon prime.

Quoting Stacie03:

We have been cable-less for several years now.  It is an adjustment at first.  We use an antenna to get local channels (at last count we were getting 15-18 channels and those have 1-4 sub channels) we have plenty to choose from.  We will sometimes use the free portion of Hulu or youtube to get other shows.  

ljnnmommy
by Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 1:04 PM

But what about internet service? If I cut out cable just my internet would be $90 a month  What do you guys do?

BradleysMom2014
by Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 1:11 PM

It would be $50 since we have to use a seperate provider..

Quoting ljnnmommy:

But what about internet service? If I cut out cable just my internet would be $90 a month  What do you guys do?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN