Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vent~ Trip to a rebuilding store.

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:48 PM
  • 8 Replies

My DH & I are going to redo our bathroom shower so I have been shopping for tile from rebuilding stores (non-profits) and re-store stores.

We found enough tile at one  store for one wall. It was less than $10.00 (5 cents per tile).  So DH & I visited one in another town. We found all the rest of the tile we needed for 5 cents per tile. Which is awesome priced since they are 16 cents each at Home Depot. We got to the counter and the cashier says OK those are 25cents a piece. I laughed and said your signage says this size (4x4) is 5 cents a piece. He said well it's wrong they are 25 cents. I let him know that they were only 16 cents each brand new. He said well I will give them to you for 10 cents a piece. I was irritated at this point and said nope you either sell them for the signed price or keep them.

He was a kind enough to tell me to shop elsewhere then. Which is fine I was only looking for plain white 4x4 tiles so I can find them. Another worker who was helping us apologized. My DH refuses to go back now for anything there. I had found a cute sink for the bathroom for cheap but I needed to measure first.

Thanks for listening to my rant. I just wanted to save some and reuse stuff if possible on our projects.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
shivasgirl
by Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:49 PM

I would have spoken to the manager...you can still call. That was wrong

Luv_my_hubby
by Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:53 PM

It looked like it was volunteers.. I looked reviews up on Yelp after we left and it appears that I'm not the only one that had prices switched.

Maybe I will call tomorrow during my break at work. It was frustrating because why in heavens name would I pay more than retail for donated or used tile.

Quoting shivasgirl:

I would have spoken to the manager...you can still call. That was wrong

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
ablox
by Aisha on Aug. 11, 2014 at 9:36 AM
That stinks. My Dh is the same way he would not have went back either. Which can be frustrating
chicken13
by Silver Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Just a word of caution....all white tiles are not the same white.

when we redid our kitchen, I wanted a white tile backsplash.  I went through almost a dozen different 4x4 white tile brands/styles before I found the ones I liked.  White can have different hues, glazes, edges.

SarahSuzyQ
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 10:09 AM
I do think you should contact the manager. Maybe you can let them know that there are negative reviews because of this practice. There may be some volunteers there, but I'm sure there are also at least a few paid employees.

How obnoxious. Our ReStore has been so great, I'm sorry you haven't found the same.
Luv_my_hubby
by Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 2:20 PM
I called and the manager wasn't much help. But okay we just won't return. We will stick worth the habitat for humanity restore store

Quoting SarahSuzyQ: I do think you should contact the manager. Maybe you can let them know that there are negative reviews because of this practice. There may be some volunteers there, but I'm sure there are also at least a few paid employees.

How obnoxious. Our ReStore has been so great, I'm sorry you haven't found the same.
SarahSuzyQ
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 3:47 PM
Oh yes, that's the only store we have like that in our area. I've had nothing but good experiences.

This other place, if they don't care about unhappy customers then they probably won't be in business for long... Non profit or not.

Quoting Luv_my_hubby: I called and the manager wasn't much help. But okay we just won't return. We will stick worth the habitat for humanity restore store

Quoting SarahSuzyQ: I do think you should contact the manager. Maybe you can let them know that there are negative reviews because of this practice. There may be some volunteers there, but I'm sure there are also at least a few paid employees.

letstalk747
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 4:20 PM

good to know

Quoting chicken13:

Just a word of caution....all white tiles are not the same white.

when we redid our kitchen, I wanted a white tile backsplash.  I went through almost a dozen different 4x4 white tile brands/styles before I found the ones I liked.  White can have different hues, glazes, edges.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)