Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

school lunch

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 6:59 PM
  • 24 Replies
1 mom liked this

New school means higher prices for school lunch.  I am trying to figure out how to make this work!  If I cannot spend less making home lunches it is not worth the hassle!  

I have 3 kids that I have to get up and get out the door before school starts at 8:15 am every day.  Packing lunches is one extra thing that I don't want to have to worry about.  My kids have done school lunches in the past.  Now it is $3.00 per lunch!  With two kids that is $6.00 a day!  :-P  

I really need some help if I am going to make bringing lunches from home work!

Are the bento box style lunch boxes worth the savings on things like plastic sandwich bags in the long run? 

What are some good, healthy, budget friendly options for a couple of growing elementary school boys?  

(My kids are already big water drinkers, so they will be bringing nice re-usable water bottles instead of juice boxes.  Also my kids are good eaters and we very rarely have much for leftovers).  

Proud wife, and mama of 2 boys and 1 little princess.

in love  baseballtoddler boytoddler girl

by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 6:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Debmomto2girls
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Both my girls do salads for lunch. Once in awhile they will do sandwiches.

I use reusable containers for  almost everything in their lunchbag.

lady_katie
by Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 9:49 PM
Tuna, egg salad and chicken salad sandwiches are all pretty cheap. At that rate, you could pack cold cuts and still save money.
smorgan865
by Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 9:51 PM
Lunch here is $2.40, and I've done some calculations and it's not too much cheaper for us to pack so I think he'll be buying most days.

Our school has a really great food service program, so I don't feel bad about it.
SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Pack the lunches the night before and that will save some time and stress. P&J, cheese sandwiches, egg salad, wraps, fruit, cucumber , carrot & celery sticks, homemade muffins, soup or chili in thermos, let them help make a list of things they like.

hillmom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:36 AM
I sent my daughter with leftovers, most of the time. She loved taking left over soups!

Definitely pack the night before. That way that is one less thing you have to worry about.
ablackdolphin
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:43 AM

salads, rice, rice cakes with nut butter, veggies and dip, fruit and dip

ablackdolphin
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:44 AM

My personal thought is that it would be cheaper to give them real food or leftover foods than getting caught into buying prepackaged processed foods.

wandep
Feeling excited for the New Year! :)
Friday at 7:03 PM
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:39 AM

I use www.easylunchboxes. com

I used them all last year and this year I will be using the same ones again. They hold up pretty good. i just throw the bag in the wash and air dry when it gets dirty. The containers hold up well on top rack dishwasher.

I pack all sorts of food in them and I try to do most of the work the night before and just stick it in the fridge. My son would just settle for a pbj sandwich, chips, fruit, and a snack. My daughter doesn't like sandwiches and I have to pack her different things. i've done leftover taco meat, soft taco shell, shredded cheese & lettuce for her. She also likes rotisserie chicken, and spaghetti. I also do a homemade lunchable for her. She loves cheese and crackers. She eats a lot of fruit too. Yogurt tubes are good to take.

I also get a lot of ideas from pinterest.

pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:08 PM

Reusable containers.  Or save containers from butter, sour cream etc. to put food in.  Stuff you don't care they throw out after they eat.  Lunches at school are a bit expensive for how much they get on their plate.  You could do better making their lunches.  Price wise.  They'd get more to eat.

lizfnf
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:13 PM

I buy yogurt and snacks in bulk at BJ's and it saves me a bundle.  I also purchase hardier fruits and vegetables, or things that can easily be packaged up.  Carrots, celery, grapes, blueberries, etc.  Last year I bought a thermos that could hold hot or cold food and my daughter loved that.  I could put pasta salad/soup/warm pasta leftovers in there and she could have something differenct for lunch.  I use a regular insulated lunch box and purchase those "take and toss" containers, except I was them.  They're great for the fruits and when my daughter takes peanut butter to dip apple slices or celery in I don't have to deal with cleaning out the remainders I just toss the sticky mess away.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN