Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moving!

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:24 AM
  • 20 Replies

We are moving, and expenses keep mounting. Any tips on helping to reduce that cost of the move? We are not hiring anyone and will do it ourselves (with the help of friends as I can't lift much and I'm NOT going to put myself into preterm labor). Just seems like everything is nickel and dimming us! 

DD1 May 2007*DS Feb 2010*DD2 Aug 2012*Surprise Oct/Nov 2014

by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wandep
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:05 PM

What are you having to pay for?

chicken13
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Moving is not cheap!

I'm with wandep....what costs are popping up, maybe we can brainstorm alternatives.

hillmom
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:21 PM
The biggest issue is this was an unplanned move. We have been given boxes. However, power was on a payment plan and must be brought to current at the end of the month. The Internet company we were using, doesn't serve the place we are probably moving too. Then there is coming up with a new down, as. I'm sure we are not getting out deposit back from these people.

I just need some ways to cut some costs, to make up for costs we weren't planning on.

Quoting wandep:

hillmom
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:21 PM
More info in the comment above.

Quoting chicken13:

Moving is not cheap!

I'm with wandep....what costs are popping up, maybe we can brainstorm alternatives.

Mygirl30248
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:28 PM
Moving always cost a lot of money. Honestly you will have to tighten down after the move to re build I'd think. No real advice for it as its never been cheap for me to move.
campingmomof4
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:31 PM

You can use your towels to wrap your dishes in.  If you aren't moving far you can pack up boxes unpack them and use them again to do more packing.    I have done that with 50 boxes before.   It cuts down on the expense of buying boxes.   We moved only a few blocks.  

I also kept my boxes from move to move.  You just untape them and tie a string around them.  I would put them in a closet till the next time I needed them.  Did many military moves in my life.  

chicken13
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Gotcha.  All those things listed are just well, the cost of moving.

all I can suggest is keep the extras to a minimum...make sandwiches, pack a cooler with drinks, etc.  after a long day of moving it's real easy to just call for pizza but that adds up quick.

Quoting hillmom: More info in the comment above.
Quoting chicken13:

Moving is not cheap!

lizfnf
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Take pictures when you move out and the space is empty.  The landlord has to provide a breakdown of all charges that effect your deposit.  If there's an issue you at least have the photos to fall back on.  Moving stinks.

wandep
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Oh..hum. I don't think there is a way around those type things. I've only moved 2 or 3 times and that was a few years ago. LOL IDK. 

Quoting hillmom: The biggest issue is this was an unplanned move. We have been given boxes. However, power was on a payment plan and must be brought to current at the end of the month. The Internet company we were using, doesn't serve the place we are probably moving too. Then there is coming up with a new down, as. I'm sure we are not getting out deposit back from these people. I just need some ways to cut some costs, to make up for costs we weren't planning on.
Quoting wandep:

Alieda
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this

The ladies have give you the tips I know , Except you can use newspaper to wrap things in , also do not put clothes in a garbage bag or the wrong one with be put in the can. We once had to buy Jeff a whole new wardrobe because of this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)