Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Do you spend more, or less, on food when school is in session?

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:40 PM
  • 25 Replies

Do you spend more, or less, on food during the school year?  This includes lunches at school (whether you send a sack lunch or they eat hot school made lunches).

by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lizfnf
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I never really thought about it, but probably less.  I purchase a lot of lunchbox friendly foods in bulk and divy them up in snack size portions for lunches.  When my daughter is home in the summer it feels like she is constantly in the refridgerator/pantry.  

amonkeymom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 3:15 PM

I try to do that too, but my problem with that is that the kids (2 teens) seem to think that snack sized portions of things equal a free for all.... that they can grab a baggie and eat whenever they feel like.

Quoting lizfnf:

I never really thought about it, but probably less.  I purchase a lot of lunchbox friendly foods in bulk and divy them up in snack size portions for lunches.  When my daughter is home in the summer it feels like she is constantly in the refridgerator/pantry.  

ladyvamp5489
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 3:20 PM

less

chicken13
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 3:27 PM

About the same.  There is less grazing by the teenage beast but then I buy different things for lunches or snacks on the run.

i know the budget amount is the same....

lyrick24
by Melissa on Aug. 13, 2014 at 3:46 PM

we pack lunch so its about the same.

choaspartyof4
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 3:50 PM

It's the same, nothing changes. My son packs most of the time and maybe buys once a week. He's picky so he doesn't buy much.

RosePetalTears
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 5:14 PM
Usually less!
maggie268
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 5:15 PM
About the same
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:08 PM

My kids eat at home.  If I spend less it's only because I'm relying more on the garden produce and meats that we preserved during the summer/fall.

diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:18 PM

I spend less on food.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)