Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Help me save money!

Posted by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 6:35 PM
  • 19 Replies

How do you ladies save money?

I coupon and meal plan around sales

We don't have cable (Roku with netflix and Hulu.)

I wash clothes and use our dishwasher late at night and hang to dry when possible

I use the air dry feature on the dishwasher

We keep the AC at 78

My MIL has a grden and gives us veggies constantly,

Our bills are Car insurance, food (I cook all our meals), lights/water, home ins, rent (we have a rent to own contract), gas, cell (we use straight talk since they have the only decent service in our area), Wifi.

Our health insurance and retiremant is taken out of his checks so we don't even count those as bills...

We are trying to save save save to pay off our house... and I'm almost out of ideas

by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 6:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EthansMomma2010
by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 7:06 PM

i make my own toothpaste and laundry detergent. i do coupon for that as well for those months where i'm too busy to make more. 

whenever it's cook i open the house. your ac might have a fan only option which can help circulate air better without actually using air!

car insurance we only have minimum coverage. 

food we buy in bulk where we can to save a bit. only eat whole foods too because processed costs us money both up front and later in sick bills. 

we treat most ailments with essential oils and other natural remedies. they cost as much as a bottle of ibuprofen, but last longer, and treat faster. 

buy gas mid week to get better deals

sell stuff on FB garage sale sites to help make money.

buy used stuff for ds. and shop sales for dh and myself. 

lizfnf
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Rent to own rarely works out in favor of the renter.  Maybe consider taking out a loan and purchasing the house sooner rather than later?  Then at least you are building equity and you may find your housing payments decrease.  

BradleysMom2014
by Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 7:31 PM

Our house is valued at 100,000... The people who own it are family friends. Due to personal reasons they moved into there family's house and started renting out the one we live in... Well DH and the guy worked out that we pay off their mortgage (50,000 when we FIRST moved in) we would get the deed (we have a contract and everything... were down to under 30,000, and me and DH have tried to get a mortgage, but neither of us have credit... I'm 18 with no credit cards, debt, anything... DH is 21 and his past landlord didn't report to the credit agency, and neither did the guy he financed his car from. He's never had a credit card either...

We have no debt (We have never had a credit card, or never financed anything from anyone that reports)

Quoting lizfnf:

Rent to own rarely works out in favor of the renter.  Maybe consider taking out a loan and purchasing the house sooner rather than later?  Then at least you are building equity and you may find your housing payments decrease.  

BradleysMom2014
by Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 7:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I plan on making a batch of laundry detergent this week to see how well it works. (DH works at a Firestone tire plant, so his clothes are past dirty)

We only have libility, and it's going to go down a week after I turn 19 (I got in an accident when I was 16) (yayy for October)

I'm doing the FB garage sales

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

i make my own toothpaste and laundry detergent. i do coupon for that as well for those months where i'm too busy to make more. 

whenever it's cook i open the house. your ac might have a fan only option which can help circulate air better without actually using air!

car insurance we only have minimum coverage. 

food we buy in bulk where we can to save a bit. only eat whole foods too because processed costs us money both up front and later in sick bills. 

we treat most ailments with essential oils and other natural remedies. they cost as much as a bottle of ibuprofen, but last longer, and treat faster. 

buy gas mid week to get better deals

sell stuff on FB garage sale sites to help make money.

buy used stuff for ds. and shop sales for dh and myself. 

SarahSuzyQ
by Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 7:45 PM

Thrift stores and garage sales? Hand-me-downs? Carpooling for work and/or activities around town?

It sounds like you are doing a great job, honestly. And you're making some long-term plans that will serve your family well. I wish I had more recommendations, but you are doing many of the things I would already recommend.

SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 8:24 PM

It sound to me like you are doing well. Are you using whole foods rather than processed? Read the posts here and you may find some good ideas that will help.

lizfnf
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 9:31 PM
I would try for a small personal loan then, with your current bank. We were in the same position always used cash so we partially financed my husbands truck when we bought it, put it on auto pay and voila we're great credit risks with pretty much no effort on our part. Resist the urge to automatically repay any loan. They want to see consistency. Or so I have been told.

Quoting BradleysMom2014:

Our house is valued at 100,000... The people who own it are family friends. Due to personal reasons they moved into there family's house and started renting out the one we live in... Well DH and the guy worked out that we pay off their mortgage (50,000 when we FIRST moved in) we would get the deed (we have a contract and everything... were down to under 30,000, and me and DH have tried to get a mortgage, but neither of us have credit... I'm 18 with no credit cards, debt, anything... DH is 21 and his past landlord didn't report to the credit agency, and neither did the guy he financed his car from. He's never had a credit card either...

We have no debt (We have never had a credit card, or never financed anything from anyone that reports)

Quoting lizfnf:

oddfox
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 10:07 PM

You may be doing this already as you seem to have a good grip on your finances. We've saved some by going from paper products to cloth. Nothing really extreme just cloth napkins and cloth rags for cleaning up messes. When our sons were babies we did cloth diapers. Keeping track of the costs of meals helps. So if we're really tight I make things like egg strata or fritatta for suppers as we can get eggs really cheaply. Whatever is cheap for you could be the starting point for a meal. So if it's potatoes, make baked stuffed potatoes, if it's beans do beans and rice, or baked beans and brown bread.  Leftover bits get put into a freezer container and when it's full is made into soup. That kind of stuff. If you grow a few things in your yard for food that helps too. We have a small patch for tomatoes and basil. A friend lives near the woods. She is able to regularly find wild raspberries, pau paus, sasafrass roots and such on her walks. Hope some of these ideas help.

Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 2:08 AM

Base your dinners on whole grain pasta, rice, beans, or eggs, with just a little meat. Do some babysitting or housecleaning for extra tax free $, your business will grow with word of mouth. Buy everything you can think of used, check thrift stores and Craigslist for whatever you need. Barter with friends for babysitting.

rosesink
by Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 2:24 AM

You are both young and from what I see you do not have any children so get extra partime jobs and use that money towards your goals

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN