Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Dinner directly from the garden!

Posted by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 7:47 PM
  • 26 Replies
2 moms liked this

Feeling pretty good about our homegrown dinner this evening... We had zucchini grinders, which are basically like meatball sandwiches with zucchini instead of meatballs. The zucchini came right from our garden, and the tomato sauce was some I canned last fall. We had fresh broccoli on the side, again harvested from our garden right before dinner.

I love eating food I've grown in my garden, and this is the best time of year for it here in the northeast! Anybody else been enjoying dinner from the garden lately?

gardening

by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 7:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Stacie03
by Silver Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 8:26 PM
Ooo I'll have to try that. I have lots of zucchini to use up. I made zucchini pineapple the other day. My kids really liked it.

Our garden is producing lots of green beans cucumbers and starting to produce tomatoes. Zucchini is coming in as well. Still waiting on melons to ripen and pumpkins closer to fall.
SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 8:33 PM

The is the worst time of year in Florida. Too hot. Nothing from gardens and no local produce. Missing my farm to table delivery of produce each week. They close down in August. I went to farmer's market and got produce that had come in from Georgia and the Carolinas.

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 8:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I had a neighbor that used to make zucchini pickles. They were so good. Have you ever had them?

Quoting Stacie03: Ooo I'll have to try that. I have lots of zucchini to use up. I made zucchini pineapple the other day. My kids really liked it. Our garden is producing lots of green beans cucumbers and starting to produce tomatoes. Zucchini is coming in as well. Still waiting on melons to ripen and pumpkins closer to fall.

smorgan865
by Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 8:36 PM
Sounds so delicious!
Stacie03
by Silver Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 8:38 PM
Not yet but it's on the to try list :)

Quoting SweetLuci:

I had a neighbor that used to make zucchini pickles. They were so good. Have you ever had them?

Quoting Stacie03: Ooo I'll have to try that. I have lots of zucchini to use up. I made zucchini pineapple the other day. My kids really liked it. Our garden is producing lots of green beans cucumbers and starting to produce tomatoes. Zucchini is coming in as well. Still waiting on melons to ripen and pumpkins closer to fall.

SarahSuzyQ
by Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 9:04 PM

Ooh, tell me more about zucchini pineapple...? :) Here is the recipe our grinders are based on, though we do make modifications to taste: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/fabulous-zucchini-grinders/detail.aspx

We have had a banner year for cucumbers. Do you make pickles? I've actually run out of jars from making so many. Beans are coming in here, too. It's my first year growing beans. :)

SarahSuzyQ
by Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 9:05 PM

I suppose it makes sense that they close it all down for you... Too bad, although the rest of your growing season is fairly long. I would miss it if I were used to having it much of the time, too! Do you subscribe to a CSA through most of the year, then?

Quoting SweetLuci:

The is the worst time of year in Florida. Too hot. Nothing from gardens and no local produce. Missing my farm to table delivery of produce each week. They close down in August. I went to farmer's market and got produce that had come in from Georgia and the Carolinas.

SarahSuzyQ
by Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Thanks! I was pretty happy with the situation... But my 6yo said, "Mom, where's the meat part for dinner?" Lol!

Quoting smorgan865: Sounds so delicious!

Stacie03
by Silver Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 10:11 PM
1 mom liked this
I got the recipe from Rhonda's(michiganmoms) recipe group. http://mobile.cafemom.com/group/115445/forums/read/14984338/Zucchini_Pineapple

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

Ooh, tell me more about zucchini pineapple...? :) Here is the recipe our grinders are based on, though we do make modifications to taste: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/fabulous-zucchini-grinders/detail.aspx

We have had a banner year for cucumbers. Do you make pickles? I've actually run out of jars from making so many. Beans are coming in here, too. It's my first year growing beans. :)

Quoting Stacie03: Ooo I'll have to try that. I have lots of zucchini to use up. I made zucchini pineapple the other day. My kids really liked it.

Our garden is producing lots of green beans cucumbers and starting to produce tomatoes. Zucchini is coming in as well. Still waiting on melons to ripen and pumpkins closer to fall.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 15, 2014 at 6:40 AM

I don't make my whole meals from the garden but we are enjoying the bounty of ours, too.  Salad greens, tomatoes, zucchini, cucumbers, beets, green beans, carrots, bell peppers...yum!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)