Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Pets that help pay for themselves?

Posted by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 8:03 PM
  • 17 Replies

Eventually, that is! These are a few of our ducks, which is a new experiment at our house this winter. In the long run, we hope to get duck eggs. Of course, our first duck flock had only one female, so we've had to pick up some more babies and offload some boys.

Do you have any pets that help pay for themselves? Chickens, ducks, goats, cows?

by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 8:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 10:11 PM

No, none of those. When I was little and we had chickens, a milk cow and ducks, the ducks were mean.

JTE11
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 3:22 AM

Not right now, unless you count my indoor cats catching the odd mouse that manages to get in. Dh and I are planning on getting some chickens in the next year or so, and possibly some rabbits. When I was a kid we had ducks but I won't have them again unless we build a pond. Ducks who spend all of their time walking end up with legs that practically fall apart because they're not built for that, they're meant to be swimming much of the time. We want to build a pond in our field and if we do, we'll definitely get some ducks.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 15, 2014 at 6:23 AM

I consider them to be livestock, not pets. 

We have chickens that will be in our freezer in 6 weeks.  We used to have laying hens but they weren't cost efficient when the price of feed went up.  We used the eggs and sold them, too.

I was raised on a hobby farm.  We had milk cows, pigs, turkeys, ducks & geese, rabbits, chickens, beef cows.  They were my "pets" but invariably they all went the same route.

bhwrn1
by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 7:02 AM

I had chickens. We had to get rid of them. Long story but they are not allowed in our town, apparently. Annoying. We have bees, though.

SarahSuzyQ
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 7:35 AM

That's too bad about the ducks. Ours are funny and friendly, although not terribly interested in being picked up most of the time.

Quoting SweetLuci:

No, none of those. When I was little and we had chickens, a milk cow and ducks, the ducks were mean.

SarahSuzyQ
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 7:37 AM

Would you have the rabbits for meat, or for pets? We have pet rabbits, but they are fixed.

We have a small pond for the ducks, which they love. They also love to range and roam around our yard, but every hour or so they go and jump back in the pond. I had never heard of ducks having leg issues from walking, but it does make sense... They are swimmers, for sure!

Quoting JTE11:

Not right now, unless you count my indoor cats catching the odd mouse that manages to get in. Dh and I are planning on getting some chickens in the next year or so, and possibly some rabbits. When I was a kid we had ducks but I won't have them again unless we build a pond. Ducks who spend all of their time walking end up with legs that practically fall apart because they're not built for that, they're meant to be swimming much of the time. We want to build a pond in our field and if we do, we'll definitely get some ducks.

SarahSuzyQ
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 7:38 AM

They really are more livestock here, too. Certainly DH and I don't feel the same way about them as we do our real pets, like the cats. We would love to have a real hobby farm someday, but need a bit more property...!

So you only do meat birds now? We have not tried that yet, but might one of these days.

Quoting michiganmom116:

We have chickens that will be in our freezer in 6 weeks.  We used to have laying hens but they weren't cost efficient when the price of feed went up.  We used the eggs and sold them, too.

I was raised on a hobby farm.  We had milk cows, pigs, turkeys, ducks & geese, rabbits, chickens, beef cows.  They were my "pets" but invariably they all went the same route.

SarahSuzyQ
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 7:40 AM

I'm surprised that they aren't allowed in your town at all. Several of the little towns around here limit numbers and say no roosters, but that's much easier to deal with. That's a bummer.

Are the bees on your property?

Quoting bhwrn1:

I had chickens. We had to get rid of them. Long story but they are not allowed in our town, apparently. Annoying. We have bees, though.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 15, 2014 at 8:06 AM

We only do meat birds.  Right now I have 80-something 4 1/2 week old chicks in the coop.

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

They really are more livestock here, too. Certainly DH and I don't feel the same way about them as we do our real pets, like the cats. We would love to have a real hobby farm someday, but need a bit more property...!

So you only do meat birds now? We have not tried that yet, but might one of these days.

Quoting michiganmom116:

letstalk747
by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 6:31 PM

nope , wish i did

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN