Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

I hate to cook..

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 12:48 AM
  • 31 Replies
I am super frugal in every aspect of my life other than food. We eat out entirely too much and it really needs to stop. Our income is about to decrease and I want to be able to pay the bills..

I know how to make an efficient menu plan based off of sales ads and I know how to cook, but I absolutely dread cooking. It doesn't help the matter that I have planters fasciitis and my feet hurt so bad when I'm standing in the kitchen..

I need to figure out how to get past my hate of the kitchen without just buying crappy microwave meals..

Any ideas/advice?
by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 12:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 1:42 AM

wear cushioned slippers when you are in the kitchen and get those memory foam rugs for the kitchen area, sit down at the table when you are doing the prep work and cook in bulk so you dont have to do it as often!

MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 1:43 AM

do things semi-homemade such as buying pastry dough, biscuit dough, marinades, sauces, etc. 

AiW
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 3:07 AM
Prep veggies sitting down. Cook a week at a time or double recipes and freeze half. Freezer meals where you prep everything ahead of time, freeze, and then throw in crockpot when want to use (check Pinterest- there are a couple blogs that do a month at a time and it only takes an hour or two prep work in the kitchen).
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 15, 2014 at 6:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, sit down to do the meal prep if possible.  I peeled potatoes, diced veggies, mixed  seasoning mixes that way when I was crippled by a fall.

Use the crockpot as much as possible.

Have main dish salads more often:  taco salad, tuna macaroni salad, BLT macaroni salad, grilled chicken salad, etc.  The up side to these is that they often have leftovers so you can put them away for next day's lunches, etc.

bhwrn1
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 7:02 AM

how about a crock pot?

Mommabear81312
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 7:22 AM

Sorry I'm no help just sharing your pain! I especially hate cooking in the summer! This is summer dinners plus sandwiches and salads! 

wandep
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 7:42 AM

I don't do fancy dishes for dinner. I am gluten and dairy free, hubby is low carb, and the kids are normal other than being picky eaters. So basically our menu consist of meat, veggie, and either rice or mac n cheese (kids). Tuesday night is special taco night. Some nights I will do a beanless chili or even with beans chili when hubby can eat beans. We try to get either fresh or frozen fish fillets at least once a week. It's easy enough to season some meat and stick it in the oven. :) My hubby hates crock pot cooking so I don't do any of that.

SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 8:29 AM

I had planter fascitis at one time (throught exercise it's now gone). I know it's hard. My worst time was early morning so I would do lots of prep the night before so breakfast would be easy. Then mid-morning when it was better, I would prep veggies for a salad and put something in the crockpot, or prepare a casserole, so all I had to do for dinner was put the salad together and pop the casserole in the oven. I would even set the table, so that would be done. I also started to double cook when I was feeling better and then freeze half for a later meal. I got the gel pads for the kitchen and I sit to do prep whenever possible.

I found that doing more early in the day helped me a lot.  

happynewyorker
by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 9:32 AM

I had plantar Fascitis, what helped me was rolling my feet on a frozenwater bottle, tennis ball.  I use to find taping my arch helped. I now wear merrell shows and purchased pads for my plantars and my feet don't hurt anymore.

Have you tried a crock pot for your meals?

I'm going to suggest various websites that I use for meals that are simple. You just send them your email and you'll receive different recipes once a week or everday. Also, a women on Facebook name Amanda Harness, she has many great recipes that are simple.

Here are the websites or names that you will have to Google.  I only looked at a few. I hope these help.

Relish.com

jamiecooksitup.com

pillsbury (they have helpful recipes) a bit salty, but helpful

wearychef.com

hoosierhomemade.com

sally's baking addition

simple recipes

eatathomecooks.com

ready set eat

sweetpeaskitchen.com

Also, the light cooking magazine website has great recipes. Cooking.com 

Good luck!!

campingmomof4
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 9:41 AM

Crockpot meals.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN