moneyI have a bit of a confession to make, and I'm already anticipating most of you gasping in horror at what I'm about to tell you -- but I'm going to spill the beans anyway.

I don't use nor stick to any sort of budget when it comes to my personal finances. I don't balance my checkbook and never have. I don't have a set amount put aside each month for "fun money," disposable income, etc. And while I do add to my savings account on a regular basis, I don't have a set percentage of my paycheck that has to go in there each and every single time.

I pay my bills on time, buy gas, groceries, and other necessary household items, and whatever is left over is great and I'll spend it as I see fit.

And yes, I'm fully aware that I'm probably being super irresponsible, and I also know my lack of budgeting may come back and bite me in the ass someday.

But you know what? At this point, I really don't care. Because I truly have enough on my plate these days as it is without creating some sort of spreadsheet to keep track of where every last penny of my income is going. (Shameful and stupid, I know.)

The common sense side of me says I probably should think about implementing some sort of budget at some point in the near future, but I have to admit -- I'm kind of scared to break down and do it.

For one thing, I'm a little nervous about having my eyes opened to all the frivolous things I spend money on. (Like wine, fancy shampoo, and fluffy new towels for the bathroom.) And quite frankly, I'm also terrified of having to change my lifestyle in any way by allotting specific amounts of funds for certain things.

For the most part, I'm pretty happy with my life at this point in time. I enjoy going out to dinner a few times a week. I don't mind shelling out a little bit extra on groceries for organic produce and natural meats. And I love going out and doing fun things with my family on the weekends, taking regular trips, and basically enjoying each and every day as much as I can. And I'm just so worried that if I put all of my finances down on paper, I'll be tempted to start making cuts here and there. Then my lifestyle as I know it will totally change and I'll be depressed and miserable.

Sigh. Whether I put myself on a budget, or keep things the way they are, I feel like I'm probably going to lose out in one way or another. What's a girl to do?

Do you budget? Has it made your life better or worse?