Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Did you learn to be frugal from your parents?

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2014 at 2:41 PM
  • 29 Replies
1 mom liked this

Are your parents frugal?  Did your mom or dad teach you how to be frugal?

by on Aug. 16, 2014 at 2:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 3:00 PM
Yes! both but mostly my mom
nayeli.c
by Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 3:27 PM

My mom is and I learned to watch money growing up shopping with her.

Sigmalade
by Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 12:08 AM

We were broke. I don't think we called it being frugal, we called it living. Now, I am frugal trying to overcome some bad habits and remembering the good lessons I had coming up.

Sisteract
by on Aug. 17, 2014 at 12:15 AM

Yes, my parents were very frugal, although my ILs were even more so-

diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Aug. 17, 2014 at 12:31 AM
No. My parents didn't teach me anything about money/being frugal.
augustmommy951
by Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 12:35 AM
My
Mom is very frugal but the most generous person I know. She has helped me, her parents and a friend purchase homes. She has helped her ailing brother out with thousands over the years. When both my Oma and Opa (grandma grandpa) were alive she would send them about 7k every year. She has GIVEN away cars to ppl that needed them to work. She doesn't make tons of money but spends it wisely. Her house is paid off which says a lot living in one of the most expensive areas of the county has $500,000 in the bank and no debt. But she was soooo poor growing up and money was soooo tight when i was little. she said once they paid all the bills and had 17 cents leftover and hadn't bought food yet. Times were tough but she made it work without a college education and look where she is now. I wish I was half as smart with money as she is. I think all the generosity was her good karma.
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 17, 2014 at 7:11 AM

Yes, and yes.

They had a budget and stuck to it.

They didn't use credit cards.

They paid off the house mortgage in under EIGHT YEARS by throwing every extra penny toward it.

My dad had a very large garden every year, and mom and I canned it up.  I don't remember ever buying veggies from the store besides salad greens.

We had livestock:  milk cow, beef cow, chickens, a pig every now and then, turkeys, etc.  We raised our own meat.

Mom sewed a lot of clothes for us.

Mom and I made quite a few Christmas gifts. 

We heated with wood and only wood that we cut ourselves.

If they wanted to make a large purchase, they saved up for it and paid cash.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 17, 2014 at 7:12 AM

They taught us how to do our own repairs on simple things, although Dad was skilled in repairing bigger things, too.

BeachLifeMama
by Beachy on Aug. 17, 2014 at 11:54 AM
No, from my grandma.
SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 7:09 PM

Yes, my mother's father died when she was 3, leaving her mother to raise 5 children. They had it hard. My grandmother took in washing and sewing, and turned her home into a boarding house. My mother and her two sister took turns, 2 worked while one went to college, then they switched every year. When I was little we lived on a subsistence farm, we had a garden, a milk cow, pigs and chickens. My mother sewed our clothes. During this time she was also the postmaster of our little community. My father worked and did the farm chores. They were both good examples of being frugal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)